Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fried Motherboard help  (Read 2670 times)

drummersince99

Fried Motherboard help
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:55:55 PM »
yesterday i fried the third motherboard in a month. The temperature idles at 28C and maxs at 42C so its not overheating. I have it on a surge protector so i dont think its surging. what else causes a motherboard to fry? I am running a AMD 64 X2 4200 processor with a Zalma Cooler, 2 1GB sticks of Patriot memory, 2 250GB Western Digital hard drives, Lite-On DVD Drive, Audigy 4 sound card, Nvidia 7800 GT duel dvi 256MB graphics card, Aspire 520 watt power supply, and a M2N ASUS SLI Deluxe Motherboard. If that might help.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 02:08:00 PM by drummersince99 »

Serrik

Re: Fried Motherboard help
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
Power supply.

Use the asus hardware monitor that came with your motherboard (its on the CD and likely called PC Probe) and check to make sure your voltages are not out of whack.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 02:20:38 PM by Serrik »

drummersince99

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 02:34:53 PM »
so i should rma the board and get a new one then check the voltage? it had a montior but it only showed memory and cpu voltages, and they were normal

Serrik

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 02:40:40 PM »
Ahh, sorry, thought you had your computer up and running again.

If the board is fried and you can exchange it why wouldn't you? heheh

But when you do, I would seriously check out the voltages coming from your power supply.

If the asus probe is not giving you info on all the power rails, then try speedfan.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Was the motherboard/computer up and running for a while before it "fried"?  And how do you know its fried? What is the computer doing?  What exactly happens when you turn on the computer?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »
The power supply is the prime suspect, but are you overclocking anything?

drummersince99

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 04:18:38 PM »
i will definately try that. i didnt overclock my system. i tried to raid my drives but it wouldnt let me cuz i dont have a floppy drive.

well the last 2 mother boards were fried. when i turn it on, everything goes on for about 3 seconds then shuts off. it would run for a week and then just break. and when i got new motherboards, everything worked again. my friend told me about a part a repair store put in his power supply, does that sound like something i might ned? or maybe a new power supply?

Serrik

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »
Do you know the make and model and wattage of your current powersupply?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 06:49:07 PM »
yesterday i fried the third motherboard in a month. The temperature idles at 28C and maxs at 42C so its not overheating. I have it on a surge protector so i dont think its surging. what else causes a motherboard to fry? I am running a AMD 64 X2 4200 processor with a Zalma Cooler, 2 1GB sticks of Patriot memory, 2 250GB Western Digital hard drives, Lite-On DVD Drive, Audigy 4 sound card, Nvidia 7800 GT duel dvi 256MB graphics card, [highlight]Aspire 520 watt power supply[/highlight], and a M2N ASUS SLI Deluxe Motherboard. If that might help.

Serrik

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 06:50:34 PM »
Haha, nice catch!