Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem Starting Windows 2000  (Read 4440 times)

madeintaiwan87

Problem Starting Windows 2000
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:56:39 AM »
Hi,

Last Night my brother was cleaning up my harddrive memory and when he went to empty the recycle bin, the whole computer started to lag and the harddrive started to make a scratching noise. After a while, I restarted, and windows wouldn't start. I had a error message that I am missing the file WINNT/System32/Drivers/isapnp.sys, and that I need to repair using the Windows 2000 CD.

He told me he didn't touch the system32 folder, in fact, he didnt even go into the WINNT folder. He only cleaned up some TEMP files. Now our computer won't load windows, and won't let me repair or format my C drive. THe same scratching noise starts to appear whenever it loads my windows 2000 and the windows 2000 CD. Can anyone help me with this problem?

bayern

Re: Problem Starting Windows 2000
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 04:53:48 PM »
It's never a good sign when your HD starts to make noise. It usually means your HD is on its way to RIP.  :'(  Hope you have all your data backed up.

B.

mreeves

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »
I wouldn't try starting the computer and go ahead and get yourself another hard drive.  Then place the new hard drive into your computer, load up WinXP or your other favorite operating system.  When you hook up the new computer, make sure you set it up for Primary Master and the other harddrive for anything else (Primary Slave, Secondary master & secondary Slave).  Then you could go ahead and grab all the files you need to regardless of if you backed it up or not.  

Let me know if this helps you out.  But yes, as bayern said.. the hard drive coincidentally is going bad and you know it due to that scratching.

madeintaiwan87

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:36:16 PM »
dang thats what I'm most afraid of. But my computer had no problems till last night when this all happened. the scratching noises came from nowhere

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »
That's how things in this world are made they all have a life span. Everything crashes at one point. It was just your harddrives time to go.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:38:36 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

mreeves

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:41:02 PM »
Before you do this though, make absolute sure that it really was your hard drive ;-) It would be really sad if you got rid of a perfectly good hard drive just to find that a wire was hitting the fan or something.

If it wasn't for that scratching I would say your brother unintentionally did something, but if the scratching came with it then yep, that's the sad way of life.  Maybe as it was working on deleting, a part of it didn't function correctly.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:27:20 PM »
The 2 incidents could very well be related or could be a coincidence...DLoad and run the diagnostics from the HDD manuf. site.

If it is the HDD making noise then the more you use it the closer you get to losing all your data.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

madeintaiwan87

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »
the problem was indeed becuase of my HD. I got a new one and now it works fine. thank you all  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 02:57:51 PM »
Glad you're all fixed up...stop by anytime !

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "