Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My browser won't recognise a url...  (Read 3441 times)

egbemio

My browser won't recognise a url...
« on: January 05, 2007, 07:20:15 PM »
Hi,

My browsers (ie & firefox) won't display a page if I type in a url or link from a page, but if i type the ip address in directly to the address bar it will go to the page??

I have pinged my isp and my dns servers and they respond fine. Similarly if I ping an ip address it responds but if i ping the url it won't.

I am using windows xp professional and ie6 and firefox (whatever the latest version is). I have a bt voyager broadband connection (not wireless).

I am sending this from a different computer, so if it takes me a while to respond then it is only because of the transit between the two.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give and please let me know if you require any other info (i'm sure you will ;) )

Best wishes

Ant

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: My browser won't recognise a url...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:31:09 AM »
Try manually inserting your DNS server's IP address into your network settings.  The problem here is that the domain name is not resolving correctly to the IP address.  (Usually a DNS failure.)  The other cuplrit might be a corrupted or overloaded HOSTS file.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos