Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "make install" help  (Read 7539 times)

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
"make install" help
« on: January 07, 2007, 12:35:28 PM »
Im new to linux and learning how to install things my question is where do things get installed to using make install, and can i delete the folder that originaly contained the source....

example... I download example.tg and extract it to /home/user/example. I run ./configure, make, and make install... does this install it to /home/user/example. if not can I delete /home/user/example

also is it possible to uninstall

thanx n adv.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 12:38:14 PM by fat_basterd21 »
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
Re: "make install" help
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:52:24 PM »
WillyW pm'd me this so I decided to post it...

Hello,

You said you're new.... but you're way ahead of me.   Smiley      
 Right now,  I don't have a spare machine to use for linux,   but hopefully will someday.   So... I read.    And play with Live CDs.

Just this morning I was reading something online, that is closely related - I think - to what you are asking in this thread:

Quote:

"make install" help
 Today at 2:35pm Quote
 Im new to linux and learning how to install things my question is where do things get installed to using make install, and can i delete the folder that originaly contained the source....

example... I download example.tg and extract it to /home/user/example. I run ./configure, make, and make install... does this install it to /home/user/example. if not can I delete /home/user/example

I don't think it directly answers your question,  but I have the feeling that you might like to follow along.
 It is a thread on a linux forum.

So... I figured I'd share the url with you, and let you decide if it is worthwhile to you.   Smiley

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=71766

For all I know, that forum is new territory to you too.    

I hope it helps.

Thanx again Willy...
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: "make install" help
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:39:34 AM »
You'd have to read the particular INSTALL and README files for the package in question, but usually you can delete the source folders entirely, becuase the "make install" tends to put things elsewhere in your filesystem.  This does not apply to all packages however - packages that install web components being one exception.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos