Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error connecting to domain  (Read 7350 times)

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Error connecting to domain
    « on: December 21, 2006, 10:35:23 AM »
    Hi,

When I try to log onto my domain I get the following error message:

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance.

The server is Windows 2003 Server, and I have 16 PCs wirelessly connected to it (all using Windows XP Pro). All of the PCs are fully up-to-date with the latest Windows Update downloads.

This error occured just after I completed restoring the PC using an image I created a few weeks ago with DriveImageXML. Obviously the program caused the error, but I was wondering if there was a way to correct the error, or will I just have to do a clean install of everything?

If anyone can suggest a solution to my problem it would be great.

Thanks 8-)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      Re: Error connecting to domain
      « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:09:32 AM »
      Its probably because you computer has a new GUID Global unique identifier

what you'll need to do is remove the old computer from the DC and then try to add the computer again.

or if the computer was imaged wile it was a member of the domain you may have a problem that it thinks its a member but it has a new id that does not match up with its record in the domain, you'll have to remove the computers record of being in the domain and then attempt to add it again.

Try these things and post your results.

in the long run it may be simpler to just reinstall windows from the disk, and make sure you have all the drivers and service packs at hand
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:22:54 PM »
        Its probably because you computer has a new GUID Global unique identifier

what you'll need to do is remove the old computer from the DC and then try to add the computer again.

or if the computer was imaged wile it was a member of the domain you may have a problem that it thinks its a member but it has a new id that does not match up with its record in the domain, you'll have to remove the computers record of being in the domain and then attempt to add it again.

Try these things and post your results.

in the long run it may be simpler to just reinstall windows from the disk, and make sure you have all the drivers and service packs at hand
        Thanks for the reply, but I've found the solution on a dirrerent forum. Here's the solution that worked for me (just in case anyone is interested):

Log in with the local admin account, dis-join it from the domain, join to a workgroup, reboot, rename computer, then join back to the domain, add the admin accounts, etc under manage, reboot, then you should be good to go
        « Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:23:35 PM by paulinnorway »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
          « Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 04:54:57 AM »
          Well i thoght i was suggesting that, i guess i need to work on my english skills

I glad you fixed your problem tho.
          Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice