Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with SP2  (Read 6385 times)

notquitehelium

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with SP2
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:23:43 PM »
Does it include a version of Microsoft Word?  My current edition (ME), doesn't, or at least not since we had to an entire system wipe.  >:(  So, if I were to buy and download Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with SP2, would I get a version of Word?

Heck, if I bought Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with SP2, would that upgrade me from ME?  Do I need to buy the full?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 10:42:07 PM »
    notquitehelium....
    So, if I were to buy and download Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with SP2, would I get a version of Word?
     [highlight]In a word , NO .[/highlight]

Heck, if I bought Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with SP2, would that upgrade me from ME?  Do I need to buy the full?
     ..... In theory it would however the problem is that win98 and ME are both built on the old 16 bit DOS base and Win 2k and Win XP are built on the much more reliable NT 32 bit  platform.  Given that Win ME is probably the worst o/s you could have (thats just my opinion ), I would advise you to spend the extra money and get the full version of XP.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:43:29 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:38:59 AM »
    I you need a good word program you can check out abiWord or if you want a whole office suite look at "Open Office" both are free too
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 04:09:23 AM »
    If you have a real WinME CD then you can do the upgrade version BUT it would be best to backup your data first and then format the drive during install which erases everything. Just loading XP on top of ME will have several side effects, none of them good.

If you do not have a real Win ME CD, then you could buy the OEM versionof XP from www.newegg.com, etc. as it does not require a previous version of Windows CD.

If ME is working for you just look at Open Office or AbiWord as suggested. You don't have to spend any money at all.  ;)

By the way you cannot legally buy and download a copy of Windows. Lots of internet scams on that.
    « Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 04:10:07 AM by GX1_Man »

notquitehelium

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »
    Thank you all.  I went and bought the Microsoft Suite 2005.  I think I will wait and buy a new laptop in May or so.  Any Vista complaints?

Whoever said the ME is the worst, you are correct.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:18:22 PM »
    Glad you are all fixed up.

There is a lively Vista discussion here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1165260877;start=all