Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help me before i kill myself!!!! crazy  (Read 7239 times)

harryt

help me before i kill myself!!!! crazy
« on: January 19, 2007, 04:45:34 PM »
I'm going crazy trying to resolve my PC issue.. i've been asking around MANY places for some idea!!

Basically my PC is stuck in a loop... you turn it on... it asks if you want to "start normally, safe mode or use last config". Now I can select either ones... and the windows bar comes up... and logo... after 10 secs.. it reboots itself.. etc...

Now I "tried" to boot my windows media center disc 1.. I went into the bios.. made sure 1st boot priority is set to cd/dvd rom.. and it is... so i put the media center disc in and you use a underscore blinking for a min... which looks like its reading the disc..... but then the SAME thing happen as above...

I am thinking of getting a new HD, but someone told me that wouldn't help.. because if the cd isn't booting now.. it won't boot later either...

I hear it could be due to spyware or xp files being corrupted... but my issue is.. if I do get a new HD how will I install windows?

PC specs are :

P4 3.2 GHz, 160GB HD, 1GB ram, windows media center.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: help me before i kill myself!!!! crazy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:58:05 PM »
Sounds like a failing hdd....

[highlight]Your first priority is to protect/recover vital data files on your hdd if that is necessary.[/highlight]   Before attempting any reinstalls I suggest you slave your existing hdd on another machine and backup the files..  [highlight]Do no more work on the hdd[/highlight] until your backup is done and verified.

Then, and only then, will it be reasonably safe for you to investigate your existing hdd using first the manufacturers diagnostics then chkdsk etc..

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

SHENGTON

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:56:37 PM »
Did you chose "Last Know Configuration"? Then is it the same?

laidbackrosco

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:00:57 PM »
Hmmm. Ive got the same prob. I`ve just completed a full recovery, but still getting probs with stop messages.Im thinking mine could be stubborn malware or corrupt driver/s.   :-?

p.s. dont kill yourself, try smashing up your xp and getting vista next week  ;D

harryt

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 08:27:42 PM »
I'm just REALLY stressed.. i'm a college student and i NEED my pc to be working by this weekend...

I am thinking of getting a new HD.. but the thing is.. someone told me if putting the XP disc in NOW doesn't boot up... it ALSO won't boot up when a new HD is installed...

and yes I tried last known config and it STILL.... loops...

I just want to be able to be able to boot my XP, so I can get a new HD and reinstall windows and be on my way!!

I checked the bios.. it has 1st boot device as my dvd rom drive... I place the windows disc in and it reads it and almost skips it? They gave me 2 windows discs.. for media center.. disc 1 and 2....

laidbackrosco

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:12:38 PM »
theres a similar problem further down the posts from rissarenee. check it out, it may help.

bayern

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 10:45:32 PM »
Since you can't even boot up with the CD, it doesn't sound like a harddrive issue.

Laundry list:  
1. Check all wires and connectors in the computer, make sure nothing is loose.
2. You might have a RAM stick gone bad.
3. Possibly the power supply unit has gone bad or overloaded, check the output wattage of your psu. Do you have add on cards?
4. Hate to say this, possibly mobo failure.  :'(

B.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:47:46 PM by bayern »

harryt

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »
well.. i did a memest 1-2 days before the PC got into issues and the memtest said the ram was fine... if the ram wasn't working.. wouldn't the PC just be a black screen?

I doubt it's the psu.. could be.. but I don't think it is..

I have a feeling it may be the hard drive.. the day before it got into this issue.. I heard a CLICK...CLICK.. noise... and that can only be coming from the HD...

BTW my pc is made by mdg..

anyone know of a boot disc they might have.. so i can just burn it on a cd and see if it's just my disc that's not working...

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 03:50:15 PM »
Unhook the hard drive completely and try to boot with your XP CD. Post back the results.

harryt

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 06:07:27 PM »
I removed the Sata cable from the HD and I keep on getting.. "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device"

Makes me wonder if my xp media center disc is bootable? I can see the dvd rom drive light blinking to read the disc... then I get that msg above....

BTW my media center came with 2 discs...

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 10:29:21 PM »
And this is a shiney CD that says Microsoft all over it? How are the disks labeled?

Is your boot priority in the BIOS set for CD before hard disk? It needs to be.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:35:44 PM by GX1_Man »

harryt

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 01:53:32 AM »
1st boot is my benqdvdrom and 2nd boot is WDhardrive

the cd's I have are 2 silverish... cd's labeled "1, microsoft windows xp media center edition 2005, support provided by 1"

"the software includes on this is recovery cd rom was preinstalled on ur HD at the factory and may be used as a backup/recovery of your PC"

I would try out a floppy boot.. but I don't have a floppy on the other PC... so i might if possible take the floppy out from here and use the windows xp home edition boot disks and see if that works...

unless someone has a windows xp boot disc.. which I can burn on a cd and try out?

mcf747

Beginner
    « Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 11:08:35 PM »
    do you have more than one cd/dvd drive I have hers of boot problems when two are conected.

harryt

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »
    nope I have only ONE dvd rom... I'm starting to think mabye it's my XP disc?.... I don't know what to do now... the last option I can see.. is buying a floppy drive... and booting with floppy's... and seeing if that works....