Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: post beep codes from usb devices?  (Read 5293 times)

remkosp

post beep codes from usb devices?
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:36:12 PM »
I've experienced a strange  :-? problem by a friend of mine.

When we startup (or restart) his computer. We hear a beep. Like it was a post error code from the bios.
When we remove all (1) USB-devices (in this case the Canon Lide30 scanner) no beeps are heard on startup.
When we plug in two USB devices  (the Canon Lide30 scanner and the Canon I560 printer) we hear two beeps at startup. With three devices we hear three beeps.
If we plug the devices into mine computer (almost similar, except the mobo is slightly different: asus p4c800-e deluxe) no beeps are heard
It doesn't matter if we plug the usb-devices into the front USB-ports or the USB-ports on the backside (directly on the mobo) of the computer.

The beeps are heard when we see the post screen with memory, harddisk en optical devices information. Windows hasn't begun loading from the harddisk.

The devices work just fine under windows xp professional edition SP2 and with all other updates (no problems are seen in the device-manager of windows).
We didn't have a PCI-card with USB ports to check if the beeps then still happens (when we put the devices on the USB-ports of that card).
We've also reset the bios configuration to default.

The configuration of the computer of my friend is:
P4 2,6 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB 2 Mb L2 cache
Asus P4P800 deluxe (with firmware/amibios version 1019)
2x 512 Mb and 2 x 256 Mb Kingston Hyperx memory modules (kits)
Nec DVD-rewriter
Asus 9520/TD graphics card
Canon i560 printer
Canon Lide30 scanner
as third (testing) device we used my Kingston datatraveler elite USB-stick

Is this normal behavior? We tought that a while back we didn't hear these beeps (with the same configuration). Is maybe the mobo (almost) defect?
In the manual or on the internet I can't find anything about this strange beep problem, so if anyone has a clue that would be great.
Thanx!

Remko

P.S. Asus has a bios upgrade (version 1021) but it's a beta... Does anyone has experience with asus beta-bios upgrades. Should we try it or should we leave it with the latest stable(?) version 1019?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 04:38:59 PM by remkosp »

GX1_Man

Re: post beep codes from usb devices?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 04:46:22 PM »
A BIOS upgrade has been the downfall of many a good computer, especially a beta!  :o

The machine may be trying to boot from USB devices. See if there is an option in the BIOS to disable this if it is on and post back.  ;)

remkosp

Re: post beep codes from usb devices?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 04:56:26 PM »
Thanx for your quick reply.

There are no USB devices in the boot device priority list (only floppy, cd-drive and the last in the list is the harddrive).

The USB configuration (in another submenu) is like:

USB function: 8 USB ports
Legacy USb Support: Auto
USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller Mode: HiSpeed