Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Page cannot be found"  (Read 6237 times)

gaz2195

"Page cannot be found"
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:53:38 AM »
I recently had a virus (i was told it was a script virus) which made my broswer not see my internet connection and i kept getting the "page cannot be found" error message (see virus section topic "browser stolen"). anyway i followed all the recmommended steps to no avail and decided it was best to perform a full format on my hard drive to ensure that everything was wiped.

my local computer shop gave me a package called micro-scope which did a full format of my hard drive. i then proceeded to install windows xp and all my system drivers.

after everything was complete and i was sat with a clean system (no personal files have been put back on) i tried to set up my internet connection and connect to the internet and i am faced with the same "page cannot be found" screen and a 'DNS error' further down. the internet connection itself is working on another pc that i have at the side of it.

i tried to ping my ip address (or what my computer says is my ip address) and all four packages came back and then connection seems fine. my browser just wont see my connection. i tried then to "repair" network connection and it wont get past the stage of renewing ip address. if i look under the details of the connection the ip address is either all zeros or says that it is invalid.

i assumed after a full format and reinstallation that my ip address and server / proxy settings would all have been reset / repaired as i am starting from scratch again.

the rest of the system is working fine. do i have a major problem and is there anything that i can try. i am at a complete dead end with it now aftera full format failed and i dont know what to try next. is it possible that my connection port where the ethernet cable plugs in has been severed by whatever virus i had or is that not possible.

please help.

thanks

gaz

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: "Page cannot be found"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »
Look in Device Manager...what does it list for "Network Adaptor" ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:59:10 AM »
What type of Internet service do you have?  Dial-up, cable, DSL?  In IE, if you go to Tools, Internet Options, and select the Connections tab, what settings do you see there?  

gaz2195

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:21:47 AM »
i am using a cable modem.

when i try to install the blueyonder (my ISP) disk it gets to the stage where i connect my modem and then says "connecting to the blueyonder network", at which point i get a 'limited or no connectivity message' and the setup fails.

Interestingly, i tried doing the same on my mothers pc and it failed at the same stage but after speaking to the support team they said that the connection was already live and did not require setup. I tried IE and it worked so i assumed that it would be the same on my pc. after speaking to the team again they have said that as long as the modem is connected to my pc, i should be able to get on the internet without installing the disc, etc.

On the connections tab in internet options, nothing appears but when i follow the instructions for a manual setup, i still cant connect. this is due to the fact that when i choose the option that matches my type of connection it says something to the effect of...'your connection does not require setup' (cant remember the exact words). i assume this is because i am using a cable modem that is connected all the time.

i dont have to register an IP address with blueyonder either which was something else i checked to see if that was causing the problem.

In reply to patio....i cant actually remember what model / brand of network card it is but it is recognised and when i use the option to see if it is working properly, it says it is. when reinstalling all of my system drivers and i got to the network card, i got the same 'limited or no connectivity' message balloon. could this be the root of my problem?

Any ideas or is it as much of a blur as it is to me at the moment
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 02:26:05 AM by gaz2195 »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »
In the Connections panel in IE, under Tools, Internet Options, which setting is selected under "Choose Settings if you need to configure a proxy server for a connection"?  For cable broadband, it should be set to "Never dial a connection".  If you click on the LAN Settings button, does that panel show any settings as selected?

I think you should contact your ISP again about this.  If they won't/can't assist you in getting your Internet connection working, I'd consider switching to a different ISP.  Based on your comments, the only thing they've done so far is tell you that you do not need to install the disk to get an Internet connection.  

Was your cable modem provided by your ISP?  How long have you had it?  Were you using the same modem when you did the test with your mother's computer?  The original DSL modem I received from my ISP went bad and they replaced it.

gaz2195

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:55:31 AM »
i bascially just take out the ethernet cable and put it in my mothers pc. therefore it cant be the cable, the modem or the connection as i have full access on her pc.

it only stopped working on my pc after the virus message flashed up. after a full format i assumed everything would be abck to normal

gaz2195

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:46:12 AM »
as recommended by someone else, I tried yesterday to release and replace my ip address by using ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. i got the following error message in the command window

windows ip configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. request has timed out
C:\documents and settings\owner>
C:\documents and settings\owner>ipconfig /renew

I also tried               ping www.google.com    but it said that the name wasnt recognised. if i ping my local host which was 127.0.0.1 i get all 4 replies.

any idea what this means?

as i said before, the same internet connection works fine on my mothers pc.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »
     gaz2195.......
    when reinstalling all of my system drivers and i got to the network card, i got the same 'limited or no connectivity' message balloon. could this be the root of my problem?

Have you checked in the device manager ...... ( ethernet adapter or network adapter ) to see if the driver for that device is properly installed ....?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »
    Which was the first question asked.... ;D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 03:09:53 PM »
      LOl ...... that's correct , however I don't think some of the posters ever read what is offered them ......

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »
      That's where seven page threads get created... ;D

patio.   8-)

gaz2195

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 04:26:48 AM »
      in reply to both pation and dl65......under device manager the network adaptor said it was working correctly even though i got that error meassge so not being overly skilled with computers i wasnt sure whether that had anything to do with it.

took the computer down to my local computer shop yesterday and it seems that the hard rive format was successful. he connected his ADSL connection into my pc and hey presto....it worked. now the only question unanswered was why the connection at my mothers house would work in hers and not mine......the answer.....with blueyonder, after you switch the ethernet cable from one computer to the other, the modem needs to be disconnected from the power (or switched off) and then back on again to renew the ip address. i had unintentionally dont this in the first place when first using blueyonder in my mothers pc after my browser had been hijacked to stop whoever had hijacked it using my connection. i was unaware that that is what was needed to switch the connection back again.

Thanks for everyones help

case closed

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 06:12:27 AM »
      In future when swapping them around you can try opening a command prompt window if you're not connected and type "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes...