Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet is wayy to slow  (Read 5469 times)

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
    internet is wayy to slow
    « on: January 21, 2007, 01:41:39 AM »
    it's me again. i mess up my computer once a week, i know it's sad. well this time it's not a virus. at least i don't think it is. here's the problem: my internet works, but has been moving way slower then it usually does. i first noticed the problem while using limewire. i was downloading songs and i started noticing error messages saying that a firewall is blocking the connection. well, i haven't changed my firewall settings (i use trend micro) , but i checked just to make sure and everything was normal. i added limewire to the exception list, just to be safe but it still doesn't work. plus, the firewall has never affected limewire before. and a few hours after the limewire incident, i began to notice that every website i went to took forever to load. just getting onto these message boards has taken about 5 minutes. i haven't installed any new programs lately, and aside from downloading some songs and movies i haven't changed anything. no spyware, and no viruses are appearing when i do the scan. oh, and i can't do system restore because i forgot to turn it on and i now have no points to restore it to. can anyone help?

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: internet is wayy to slow
      « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 01:52:47 AM »
      oh wait... i do have a virus. MS02-039_SQL_SERVER_RESOLUTION_EXPLOIT. i'll try to get rid of it, but i may still need some help. if that's what's causing this problem. lol, if my computer were a person, it would have the crappiest immune system in the world. i always have viruses, spyware, ect... *sigh*.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 05:33:46 AM »
      Limewire and other P2P is a great way to get malware on your computer. What types of things are you downloading?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:10:05 AM »
      List your OS and protection programs...it's obvious you are under-manned in that department.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 04:46:23 PM »
        i think the only program that i have is trend micro pc-cillin. i find that it works well and gets rid of all my spyware, but sometimes i'll get a virus that it can't delete. also, i get alerts for viruses, but then i do the scan and it says there's nothing. to answer the other question about what i download, it's mostly music and sometimes an episode of a tv show or a movie. i'm very careful though, and when limewire stopped working yesterday the first thing i did was scan my recent downloads. but they were clean, and i really don't remember downloading anything strange.  

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »
          if anyone can provide a tip for fixing limewire, it would really help. i can live with slow internet for a while, but i miss my music downloads already. i'm seriously doubting the problem is firewall related, since i haven't changed my firewall settings and they have never affected limewire before.

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 06:02:50 PM »
            nevermind. i just fixed the problem. turns out it was some stuff i installed earlier in the week that was messing everything up. i know uninstalling things should have been the obvious solution right from the start, but when it's 3 am and i'm on the computer with too much caffeine in my system i don't think very clearly. so thanks so much to everyone who was willing to help. i'm sure i'll be back with a new problem sometime in the near future.... :-[

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 04:49:59 PM »
            To further protect your Limewire expeditions grab the following and install and update them;

Spybot Search and Destroy
            AdAware
            AVG Anti-Spyware  (formerly Ewido )
            Stinger

Disclaimer : These fine programs will not keep out the nasties encountered in the Limewire realm...but you will be glad you have them the next time you get slammed.

patio.   8-)

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 05:44:54 PM »
              ok, thanks!

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »
              You're Welcome...stop by anytime !