Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help: Windows 2000 freezes on Startup  (Read 4279 times)

peggypwr1

Please help: Windows 2000 freezes on Startup
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
Hello, yesterday my desktop which runs Windows 2000 froze for some reason. I didn't download anything or visit any weird websites. So I restarted the computer. The defult setting is in Adminstrator mode.

After the Windows 2000 logo dissapears and the icons begin loading on the desktop, the computer freezes. I can still move my mouse cursor but cannot access/open any program?

I rebooted in safe mode. In this mode I can access all the programs, so I ran Spybot and Ad-Aware just in case something bad downloaded, it was clean.

This I ran Norton registry cleaner and it fixed whatever needed to be fixed.

I rebooted to normal mode, but still the same problem, none of my programs are able to open? What could be causing this?

Thank you for your time.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Please help: Windows 2000 freezes on Startup
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »
If it's 2000 Professional you can try a repair install--->Here
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

peggypwr1

Re: Please help: Windows 2000 freezes on Startup
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:40:52 AM »
Ok, here is what has happened so far.

I tried to do a repair install as suggested but I ran into problems when it asked me for a video driver file I did not have to install. So I just clicked "cancel". Then setup asked me for some "AGP bus filter" file, I did not have that either, so I clicked cancel so the installation continued.

But the problem is, the installation does not complete, it just goes in a cycle meaning the computer reboots, its goes to setup, it asks me for the files I don't have again and keeps on doing that without ever completing the installation.

So, I bit the bullet and just did a fresh install. The fresh install worked. It asked me top setup another admin profile, I did not put a password.

Here is the problem, and I hope you folks can help me:

All of my files, favorite places from IE and Mozilla, programs are still intact on drive C

My old admin profile is still in the c:/documents and settings folder which has my settings before my computer became screwed up. My desktop icons, my favorite places, all programs I use are this profile.

Is there anyway I can log into my old admin profile so I can have access to the above  things I mentioned. I tried copying all of the files and folder from my old admin profile and pasting them into the new admin folder, but that did not work.

My new admin profile has nothing. I cannot access any of my programs from Windows Explorer and there is no need for me to reinstall all the programs I use because they are still on drive C:

Can somebody help me or understands what I am trying to say?

Thanks for your time.