Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bootup fails when USB flash memory is plugged in  (Read 7787 times)

Mace1370

Bootup fails when USB flash memory is plugged in
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:15:03 PM »
Hey guys, I'm completely at a loss to why this is occurring. Basically, my system boots up completely fine normally. However, when I leave any kind of usb flash memory plugged into a usb slot (such as my sandisk 1gb cruzer micro) my computer won't boot up. I'm running Vista now, but I had the same problem when I ran XP and never bothered to fix it. According to my bootup screen I'm running:

"Award Modulr BIOS v6.00PG
Intel i875P AGPSet Bios for 8IK1100"

The 8IK1100 being the serial number for my motherboard (made by gigabyte). The error in booting up occurs after the RAM has been checked and all IDE drives have been detected. I normally get the line:

"Verifying DMI Pool Data..."

However, when I leave a usb drive in I get the following:

"Verifying DMI Pool Data...
Invalid System Disk
Replace system disk, and then press any key"

If I press a key the above message of "Invalid system disk" repeats itself. When I remove the USB key everything returns to normal.

From my limited knowledge of system BIOS it seems like my computer it, for whatever reason, trying to boot up off the flash drive. I don't understand what would prompt this because my boot order is set to:

1. Hard Drive
2. CD-ROM
3. Floppy Drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated and let me know if you guys need more information to diagnose the problem.

pt316

Re: Bootup fails when USB flash memory is plugged
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
This happened to me at work, fix is in the CMOS setup utility.

Look under the "Boot" section.
Look for an option for "USB Boot - Enabled".  

Change this to disabled and this should correct for the problem.  

The only reason I know of for using this option is to literally boot off of the USB drive (like a boot floppy).  Disabling this should not affect your USB operation.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:15:54 PM by pt316 »

Mace1370

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »
This happened to me at work, fix is in the CMOS setup utility.

Look under the "Boot" section.
Look for an option for "USB Boot - Enabled".  

Change this to disabled and this should correct for the problem.  

The only reason I know of for using this option is to literally boot off of the USB drive (like a boot floppy).  Disabling this should not affect your USB operation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have any such option in my BIOS. I checked under all the menus with no luck. I do have several USB options in my "boot priorities," but none of them are selected (as I mentioned in my first post, I have my boot priorities set to Hard Disk, CD, and then floppy). If I wanted to I could tell the BIOS to boot from a USB  slot, but that's the opposite of what I want.

Anyways, I figured if it would be anywhere it would be listed under the catagories of "Integrated Peripherals." I checked there, but the only USB options were:

USB Controller [Enabled]
USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]
USB Mouse [Enabled]
USB Keyboard [Enabled]

I tried turning them off and I booted up fine, even with a USB key drive plugged in. Unfortunately, after I booted up I had lost all USB functionality so this isn't exactly a solution to my problem.

pt316

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 06:36:01 PM »
I'm thinking this is motherboard specific.  I researched a little more and found that some motherboards do not like to have a USB drive connected at boot - depends on make and model.

Do you know what type of motherboard you have or possibly what brand PC and series number?

If Dell, Compaq, or whatever, try looking on their website for a possible FAQ or even a BIOS update.  

If a BIOS update looks likely - BE CAREFUL & USE CAUTION!!

Also, another possibility in BIOS, "Boot from external devices"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:47:51 PM by pt316 »

Mace1370

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »
I have a gigabyte brand mother board, model #8IK1100. Do you think I will have to update my BIOS? I heard that can result in disaster =/

Also, I looked in the BIOS for "Boot from external devices" and that wasn't there either.

pt316

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:29:40 PM »
I really think your best bet is to use Gigabyte's tech support.  They should be able to tell you for sure.  I looked up your m/b on their site but didnt have much luck finding this issue.  I'm still thinking this is motherboard specific related (we know for sure your thumbdrive works right:).  You might include to them the brand USB drive you are using - just in case.  Found this link to their email support.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

I would wait for their response before attempting to update your BIOS.

If they give you an answer let us know what happens.

Mace1370

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll let you know what Gigabyte says.