Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot/Video problems  (Read 8327 times)

Bill S

Boot/Video problems
« on: March 15, 2004, 07:16:40 PM »
My computer trys boots up but the screen doesn't display.  It makes one long beep then two short and if I wait I just does the same beeping again.  I would replace the video card but its build into the mother board.  This started after I installed a hard drive.  Any help would be appreciated.
-Bill S

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Boot/Video problems
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 07:20:13 PM »
Bill,

This beep that you hear is known as a POST, if you know the manufacturer of your motherboard, BIOS, and/or computer we may be able to find out what this beep code refers to. You can find information about beep codes on the below page:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Since this issue occurred when adding your hard disk drive it is likely that it is related, try removing your hard drive to make sure it is not the cause of your issue. If it still occurs when the hard drive is removed it is likely another cable may have been disconnected while the hard drive was added.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Bill S

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 05:18:01 PM »
Today I took my computer down to bare bones.  The only thing I left was the power supply, ram, and the processor. Again it came up beeping once long then twice short.  I put it back together and try to start it again and got the same beeping.  All I know about this computer is that it was made by HP and is model 6730.  Also is there a place were it lists who made your bios or even the mother board?
-Bill

Ed B.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 07:24:07 PM »
well, to get your bios, it helps to have video, lol
umm...
im pretty sure you're on Phoenix.
I have a XE743 by HP and a few friends have and HP, and they all have Phoenix.

Hope that helps a bit!

MetalMilitia

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 07:24:25 AM »
Sounds like a RAM problem to me. That is the same beep code i have when my ram is not seated correctly or faulty. You where right to strip it down to just motherboard CPU, PSU and memory as this is a good way of eliminating a promlem because there are only a few components to which could be faulty to test. My advice would be to try re seating your memory and trying a different stick. hope this helps.

Bill S

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 01:04:53 AM »
I have a hp pavilian 6730.  With a Phoenix bois.  I know the ram isnt the problem because im using it in the compuer im on now.  I tryed to reseat it but that didnt help.  I still get the one long beep then two small.

Stu

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 08:43:37 PM »
I am no expert but I just had the same problem and had to replace my mother board.  It was the same thing on two computers and I had to replace them on both.  This happened after I put a modem on each one.  Same modem so I guess it fried them.