Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cd drive disappeared  (Read 4594 times)

yaddayadda

cd drive disappeared
« on: April 04, 2004, 08:59:11 AM »
Im sure other people have this problem, so i was wondering if anyone knew why this was happening. My cd drive in my PC sometimes appears to disappear from 'my computer', so that you can't open any cds and can't run any programs that require a disk. If anyone knew why this happens and if its possible to stop it, that would be very useful. This is more of an annoyance than an hindrance really, but thanks anyway. I guess this problem may be solved by a patch maybe?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 08:59:52 AM by yaddayadda »

merlin

Re: cd drive disappeared
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 01:31:20 PM »
What o/s is it more info more soultions

yaddayadda

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 01:38:45 PM »
The OS is XP, but ive found this problem to happen on different computers with Win95 and Win98. The cd drive does re-appear once you restart, and this is why it is annoying.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 02:07:04 PM »
The patch for winxp >http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.htm  ( cdgone..)with win98 see if the cdrom is there in the bios?it may be an ide cable playing up?

yaddayadda

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 04:16:02 PM »
Thanks, i installed the patch, and that resulted in no problems. I shall have to wait and see if it does actually work though.