Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cpu only shows half of its real speed  (Read 2119 times)

slayer87

Cpu only shows half of its real speed
« on: February 08, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »
Ok so i recently put together one of my older computers and it has a Pentium 4 2.8ghz processor but it only shows at 1.4ghz during start up and when u look at the general system properties. Any ideas how i can fix it?
i did a bios update on my motherboard as well and it still is showing half the speed it should.

Motherboard is an ECS Elitegroup L4VXA2 if that helps at all...

GX1_Man

Re: Cpu only shows half of its real speed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 03:45:20 AM »
Did it work correctly before you played with the BIOS?

Are there jumpers to set for the CPU speed? What does your motherboard manual say about this?

slayer87

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »
It didnt work correctly before and i have tried the jumpers.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 12:59:17 PM »
Did it work correctly before you played with the BIOS?

Are there jumpers to set for the CPU speed? [highlight]What does your motherboard manual say about this?[/highlight]

Joe_Flanagan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
It didnt work correctly before and i have tried the jumpers.
As GX1_Man says it is time to get your mobo manual out.
Setting jumpers is only part of what you need to do, if indeed your board uses "multiplier jumpers".

Your system right now is running at safe BIOS settings, sometimes called default settings by design.
A newly installed mobo or a flashed BIOS will often be set to these safe settings on the first startup.
In this way the mobo mfr is presenting his product to you, so that you, the builder, can apply optimum settings.
If the mobo mfr were to guess at what your optimum settings should be applied, the mobo may not post, depending on what your components are.

With your mobo manual in hand, enter your BIOS Setup Utility...the manual will show you how.

You are looking for something like "Advanced Chipset Features". This is where you set the FSB clock frequency.
Set it to what your CPU requires and if you have the multiplier jumper set correctly, voila, your CPU will be running at design speed. You may have to reboot.

Don't forget to Save and then Exit your way out of BIOS.

If you don't have a manual, you should be able to D/L it from ECS.
You will want to go through all your BIOS settings line by line and make sure that they are optimum.
If you don't understand a setting, leave it alone until you do.
Write down what the "found" setting was and then what you changed it to.

Here is a link that will help clarify some of the BIOS settings:
http://www.techarp.com/freebog.aspx

Your BIOS will not have all these options, but sometimes the Guide is useful when the mobo manual is not.