Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shooting  (Read 15572 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Shooting
« on: February 12, 2007, 10:47:12 PM »
Pretty crazy news in my local town I thought I'd share. Shooting at a local mall, which ended up killing at least 5 people. I actually just ate there last week. Glad I didn't postpone it until today.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=888784
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Shooting
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 10:59:10 PM »
    :o
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Blackberry

Adviser
    • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
      « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 12:03:04 PM »
      Sorry to hear that.
      I don't want to hurt some1, but I think the allow to have a weapon for self defence-law isn't the best thing, if you see what a lot people in america do with it. It gives you situations like this and columbine...
      Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 04:21:21 PM »
        Blackberry, it isn't a law; it's part of our Constitution. It's one step above the "mere" law. And it's for more than self-defense; Americans have the right to bear arms. Period.

Neil

Expert
        • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
          « Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 04:38:02 PM »
          America tends to have higher rates of gun homicides than the rest of the world, compared to both nations with strict or lax gun laws. If not for self-defence, I guess there must be some better reason to allow bear of arms not apparant to a non-American like me.
          « Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 04:38:48 PM by Neil »

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 07:02:36 PM »
          Outlaw guns and then only outlaws will have guns...
          Gun owners themselves are not part of the crime problem...criminals are.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
            • Yes
            • JSPCRepair
          « Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 10:05:33 PM »
          Wow, stuff like this happens all the time in Texas, especially around the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex. It is a scary thought though :'(. That is a good point Patio, and I quote "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

8-)fffreak
          « Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:10:30 PM by fffreak »
          Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
            • Technology News and Information
          « Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 10:08:02 PM »
          I don't understand why ANYONE would ever be able to go out into the public and just start firing and killing another human being.
          Let alone, killing someone you know.

It just doesnt make sense, especially when someone doesnt have a reason...

Glad you didn't postpone that trip, Nathan.

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 10:13:47 PM »
          Yeah, it's crazy.  It's been all over the news (I'm from around there too).  There are rumors at my High School about a shooting that's "supposed" to happen the day after Valentines.  The school has been put in a semi-lockdown mode until it passes.

Crazy stuff going on...
          Back In The Game

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 10:25:19 PM »
            I guess there must be some better reason to allow bear of arms not apparant to a non-American like me.

Originally, the Second Amendment to the Constitution was written in response to the insane laws the King of England had. The Ten original Amendments were made to say not what the Government could do, but what it couldn't. Freedom of Speech, the Press, Religion and others were in the First Amendment. I can't remember the laws regarding guns offhand, but one of the inane laws was to severely restrict the ability citizens have to bear these arms.

There are still many uses for arms today. Self-defense is one. Hunting is another. Heck, even the thrill of shooting a gun is a valid reason (it's called target practice). Finally, in the extremely unlikely event that an invasion reaches our soil on land, and the Army isn't handy nearby (on their way, diverted to other areas, etc.), then we can form a Militia to defend our homeland.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but my brain is shutting down after a long day, so I can't think of anything else.
            « Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:25:58 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

Neil

Expert
            • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
              « Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 04:21:47 AM »
              Fair point, but I was also getting at the high rate of crime compared to other nations, even those that have lots of guns. Switzerland, for example, has a high rate of gun ownership among its male adult population, yet about a fith of the homocide rate to America. (Taking into account population size, before you say that). I guess then that it must be a culture/society issue...

You're right guns don't kill people, people do.. but maybe if they didn't have a gun it might not have happened? But there are lots of conflicting studies on this so I am prepared to accept gun ownership might not increase gun crime, although it is something I do not personally agree with.

As for this constitutional right to bear arms, this stems back to the old "colonial/frontier" days when there wasn't much of an organised police force, natives could attack or an invasion by a foreign power. Nowadays America is much more threatened by terrorists than an actual invasion, and terrorist would benefit most from such availability of guns, wouldn't you say?

chriscool9

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 04:36:29 AM »
                Yeah, it's crazy.  It's been all over the news (I'm from around there too).  There are rumors at my High School about a shooting that's "supposed" to happen the day after Valentines.  The school has been put in a semi-lockdown mode until it passes.

Crazy stuff going on...

Excuse my language, but bloody *censored*! Is there a reason behind it? I thought my school was bad.

Chris
                « Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:36:48 AM by chriscool9 »

99 Problems and London's one of them

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 04:38:50 AM »

Crazy stuff going on...

Excuse my language, but bloody *censored*! Is there a reason behind it? I thought my school was bad.

Chris
                Same.
                At least no one at our school has actually died, although there have been several close calls.

Blackberry

Adviser
                • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
                  « Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 05:44:57 AM »
                  Outlaw guns and then only outlaws will have guns...
                  Gun owners themselves are not part of the crime problem...criminals are.

Giving some1 a gun, gives him the possibility to be a criminal..

Blackberry, it isn't a law; it's part of our Constitution. It's one step above the "mere" law. And it's for more than self-defense; Americans have the right to bear arms. Period.

Then you should explain me what an 18 year-old boy needs a weopon for if he is 18, does not live in a bear-populated-area or whatever. Selfdefence? I doubt

I don't understand why ANYONE would ever be able to go out into the public and just start firing and killing another human being.  
                  Let alone, killing someone you know.  

The agressive things in the media (reports of dially shootings), games (shoot on people to earn points) etc. Make some ppl do things like that.. sadly...

Did anyone watch bowling for columbine? In canada they have even more weopons for each person then in america (if you look to the population and the number of weapons). But do they kill eachother dealy? No! A few murders in a year. Well.. euh in Amerika...
                  « Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 05:50:35 AM by blackberry »
                  Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 06:27:33 AM »

Another example is Switzerland, which also has universal gun ownership by military-aged males, and a low murder rate compared to the U.S. Contrary to the suggestions of pro-gun advocates, however, gun ownership in Switzerland is not universal; only 32 percent of the general population own guns. By comparison, this figure is 49 percent in the U.S. And Switzerland also has much stricter gun control laws. All military weapons (which are long-barreled) must be kept locked up, with their ammunition sealed, stored in a separate place, and strictly accounted for. Hence it is almost impossible to use these weapons for crime without detection. Handguns are also highly regulated. Even then Switzerland has both the highest handgun ownership and highest handgun murder rate in Europe.

Source
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "