Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: some programs won't install in win98se  (Read 9694 times)

monkeyface

some programs won't install in win98se
« on: October 09, 2004, 11:14:30 PM »
I'm trying to update my video card drivers and the installation program will not run. When I go to run the program I hear a bell and a nag screen pops up telling me to turn off anti-virus with a yes to continue or no to stop the installation so I can turn off anti-virus.
     Even with anti-virus turned off when I click yes, nothing happens. I have the same problem with two other programs. Two of them are drivers for my nvidia video card, and another is a photo editing installation program. They all have a nag screen and they all ring a bell.
     Any ideas to solve this would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

merlin_2

Re: some programs won't install in win98se
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 12:09:56 PM »
where did you get these video drivers from? if you have burnt them to disk or floppy try installing them via safe mode<f8 key>
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 12:55:20 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 01:32:11 PM »
You should always turn off Anti-virus software when installing drivers.

Do you have the correct drivers?

monkeyface

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 04:41:17 PM »
Hi merlin and raptor, thanks for the responses. I got the programs from the maker of my video card(MSI G4Ti4200vtd64) and from nvidia. They are definitely the right drivers for my card.  And I have tried installing in safe mode and I get the same problem. i'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the program the companies use to create the executables.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 04:49:40 PM »
try this win9x may catch up...locate the c:\windows\options\cabs folder next to the scanreg icon is one called SETUP click that ...dont panic it will re-install win98se without losing files and may straight out your rad problem...if you have the drivers it may ask you for them..thats the beauty of win9x....shame winxp never had this...and why not i ask... 8)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 04:50:55 PM by merlin_2 »

monkeyface

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 04:57:50 PM »
Hi merlin_2, I went to the cabs folder but found no files named scanreg or setup.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 04:58:38 PM by monkeyface »

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 05:08:32 PM »
its a icon called SETUP anyway ....another way is to load your win98se disk....spalsh screen chose the browse option...in the add ons section click that folder >/pws folder click that scroll down to the icon setup and click that...

monkeyface

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »
merlin_2, did what you said and no change. Any idea what the bell means?

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 05:50:31 PM »
the bell is windows wav sound....which can be disable in desktop themes..have you got load of files on your hard drive..do you have a burner..save  files to disk..do you have the win98se install disk...nag screens can be disabled by typing msconfig in the run box..