Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there any way to change the OS language?  (Read 11007 times)

Harlequin

Is there any way to change the OS language?
« on: February 18, 2007, 07:11:26 AM »
Hi everybody here!

I have an spanish friend who has bought a new portable PC here in Spain.
Before, when you bought a new PC in any PC store, this PC came with his installation disks, this is, the OS installation disk and the drivers installation disk.

But now, the new is the manufacturer gives you a preinstallated PC, with all the OS and drivers. You only must put in a few parameteres like language, time, time zone, and so on.

My friendīs PC comes with a new Windows XP Media Center Edition, and it goes so fine, but the OS languaje is "English USA", and what does it?, simply, for example, you can open the windows help in start-help and support- and all come in english language.

Even I have changed all language features to spanish language.

I have tried to look for a solution in Microsoft knowledge database, but nothing...
I have search the web and I have encountered others with the same problem, curiously, with the same Windows XP Media Center Edition.

We have called by telephone the manufacturers technical support... and itīs for give them two shoots. They nor so at least understand what is the problem...

Well, the question is: Is there any way to change the OS language? Is there any patch? Anybody knows?

Thanks.
HARLEQUIN.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Is there any way to change the OS language?
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 09:26:21 AM »
    I don't think it is possible to change without buying a new Windows copy in your language and doing a fresh reinstall. Sorry. Hopefully I am wrong...

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 09:44:50 AM »
    But now, the new is the manufacturer gives you a preinstallated PC, with all the OS and drivers. [highlight]You only must put in a few parameteres like language[/highlight], time, time zone, and so on.

My friendīs PC comes with a new Windows XP Media Center Edition, and it goes so fine, but [highlight]the OS languaje is "English USA"[/highlight], and what does it?, simply, for example, you can open the windows help in start-help and support- and all come in english language.  ....

We have called by telephone the manufacturers technical support... and itīs for give them two shoots. They nor so at least understand what is the problem...
    So, how did this error happen?  Did you friend enter the wrong parameter when selecting language?  

I was going to suggest that your friend try to get the seller to install a Spanish version of the OS.  But, apparently you've done, although I'm not quite sure what you mean by "and itīs for give them two shoots. They nor so at least understand what is the problem..."

Harlequin

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 10:01:26 AM »
    Hi Neil: I think the same as you. That is impossible to change the OS language if not buying other OS copy in spanish. But, believe me, Iīm beguining to think those ultimate OS from MS Windows, Media Center and Vista, are all in "english USA" and have the same problem for non english speakers users.

Soybean:
    "I was going to suggest that your friend try to get the seller to install a Spanish version of the OS.  But, apparently you've done, although I'm not quite sure what you mean by "and itīs for give them two shoots. They nor so at least understand what is the problem..."

This is not a sellerīs problem, he has sell the new portable PC, has received the money, and good bye and good luck...
    The problem is the manufacturer, that puts in the european market a portable PC without OS & Drivers installation disks. He sells you a software preinstalled PC (OS and Drivers), and this is not all... no... the hard disk of 120 GB, is partitioned by the manufacturer in four parts, one of this without format, the other three are in FAT 32, and one of this three is unnacessible by the OS because contain a "recovery system of software". This is a big sheet!!!

The manufacturer hears our telephonic claims like one who hears the rain... and does like he doesnīt understand nothing. Even, we have write to manufacturers support e-mail with our claims and he doesnīt answer.

And I think, soon we will be seeing this same problem not only this I tell you, but in other people that going to shop a new PC in the future.

HARLEQUIN.

Harlequin

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:03:24 AM »
    Soybean:

"I'm not quite sure what you mean by "and itīs for give them two shoots. "

Yes, you are right... "and itīs for give them two shots".

HARLEQUIN

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »
    Hi Neil: I think the same as you. That is impossible to change the OS language if not buying other OS copy in spanish. But, believe me, Iīm beguining to think those ultimate OS from MS Windows, Media Center and Vista, are all in "english USA" and have the same problem for non english speakers users.

I don't know what you mean by "those [highlight]ultimate OS[/highlight] from MS Windows, Media Center and Vista" but, if you're saying these versions of Windows are not available in languages other than English, you're wrong.  See List of languages supported in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003

And, with any language version of Windows, other languages can be added for purposes of keyboard input, as explained in the link above.

Harlequin

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 10:38:22 AM »
    Yes soybean: But this information about languages supported is for:
    Windows XP
    Windows XP Professional
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows 2000 Professional Edition
    Windows Small Business Server 2003
    Windows 2000
    Windows Server 2003

Whose OS language can be in spanish, and in others...

But, Iīm speaking about Windows XP Media Center Edition, from 2005 year and not about these other formers OS,s.

I have find this:

ŋEstá Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 disponible en otros idiomas?
    Actualmente, hay disponibles versiones localizadas para Australia, Austria, China, Francia, Alemania, Italia, Japón, Corea, Holanda, Suiza y Reino Unido.

I translate:

Is Windows XP media Center Edition 2005 available in other languages?
    Actually, there are availables versions for Australia (English), Austria (German), China, France, German (German), Italy, Japan, Korea, Holand, Swiss, and United Kingdom (English).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292246/

Harlequin

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
    Better than before:
    Is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 available in any other languages?
    Localized versions are now available for Australia, Austria, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

From: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

Iīm sorry for my friend, heīs so much built up oneīs hopes with this XP Media Center...
    When I tell him there is nothing to do....

Well... he can do something... learn a little of english ... ;)

Harlequin

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 11:00:12 AM »
    Thanks a lot to all these forum members that have helped me to arrive a conclusion about the problem.

In spite of, I must say, surfing by the big NET, I think is possible one spanish have a patch to modify the english OS language to spanish.

Well, I think this is a lot of difficult but nothing is impossible. If this is true, Iīll tell you.

HARLEQUIN.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »
    You couldn't have said it better.  ;)

Harlequin

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »
    Hi everybody!

Even if you donīt believe it, I have changed the language in the Windows XP Media Center Edition to spanish.

How itīs possible?... with limitations.

First step: Loading the new OS WXP MCE.
    Second step: Loading DONETFX.EXE (MS FRAMEWORK).
    Third step: Loading NDPSP.EXE (MS FRAMEWORK SP 1).
    Fourth step: Updating --> WindowsXPmediacenter2005-KB900325-USA.EXE
    Fifth step: Restarting the OS.
    Sixth step: Loading Localization pack for MS WXP MCE, who installs spanish multilingual files for Windows components.

Well, all is ready now?---> NO... the OS main language is "English USA", the Help and technical support is in english, and other OS messages... What is the new then?

You before had Files, Edition, Tools... and now have Archivo, Edición, Herramientas.

This is the best we the spanish can do with MS WXP MCE, a OS half in english half in spanish.

And thanks to the other spanish who teach me how making this change in the OS.

And thanks to all of you for reading me.

HARLEQUIN.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 10:31:59 AM »
    Thanks for posting that info.  Glad to hear you found at least a partial solution.