Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bootsect.exe file lost  (Read 6051 times)

dmoore314

Bootsect.exe file lost
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »
I just got a laptop with Windows Vista on it.  After installing Windows XP on a separate partition, I lost forward compatibility.  I did find how to solve this problem in Microsoft's online documentation (and it can be found here for people with the same problem, in case you're wondering :) ), so it's really not that big a deal.  But I have one little problem with this: I've lost my accompanying Windows Vista installation DVD with bootsect.exe on it.  Without bootsect.exe, I can't restore the Windows Vista MBR and return control to the Windows Boot Manager program.

So my question is, does anyone know where else I can find the bootsect.exe utility?  Is it online somewhere?  And if not, is there someone with the Vista installation DVD (that isn't, you know, lost somewhere in a messy apartment) who could give it to me?  I don't want to pay a few hundred dollars for a new copy of an OS I already have just for the one file!

Thanks a million in advance.

GX1_Man

Re: Bootsect.exe file lost
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:39:15 AM »
Keep looking. $150+ DVD's should be very easy to find!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 12:27:56 PM »
Isn't it surprising, the amount of people who lose valuable CDs and DVDs like that, especially XP Pro CDs . . .

dmoore314

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 12:38:25 PM »
Keep looking. $150+ DVD's should be very easy to find!
You would think, wouldn't you?  ;)

I found that the file is included with a Vista boot assistance program, so I dl'ed the program and got the file.  My laptop is now fixed despite the loss of the expensive DVD, because I'm just that good.   :-[  Anyway, thanks for the help!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
Isn't it surprising, the amount of people who lose valuable CDs and DVDs like that, especially XP Pro CDs . . .

And misplace their passwords.