Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shutting off  (Read 3340 times)

wusaga

Computer shutting off
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:12:53 AM »
My computer is fine when I use it for things like email, downloading off the internet, etc.  I can have it on for days with no problem.  However, when I try to listen to a playlist I made on Windows media player, it abruptly shuts down after about 20 minutes.  Same thing happens when I try to make a cd or VCD.  After 19, 20 minutes, it shuts down.  Then I have to wait a minute before starting it back up.  If I immediately try to listen to the playlists again or make a cd/vcd, it shuts down quick (taking only 10, 11 minutes).  It it overheating?  I can see the fan working in the back.  Any suggestions?

GX1_Man

Re: Computer shutting off
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:43:48 AM »
Heat or bad powersupply seem the most likely, but as we know absolutely nothing about your machine we can only speculate.

wusaga

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »
Sorry about that! I have a Compaq Presario SR1220NX, running Windows XP.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 09:53:47 AM »
It could also be a problem with Windows Media Player, a problem with Windows files, a hardware problem such as the fan affixed to the processor on the motherboard not spinning, or something else.  Things you can try:

1. Open the computer case to make sure the fan on the processor is spinning (this is different from the fan inside the power supply).

2. Open the Windows DXdiag tool and run all the tests (click Start > Run > type DXDIAG and click OK.  Run each of the tests one at a time and let us know of any reported problems.

3. Use Windows Update to download and install any Service Packs and applicable updates (enter www.windowsupdate.com in the address box of your Web browser).

4. Check the Windows Event Viewer for any problems related to Windows Media Player (Click Start > Run, in the Run dialog box type EVENTVWR and click OK. Click Application and look for an errors reported for Windows Media Player.  Click System and look for the same.  Write down any error code numbers and let us know what they are.)

5. Use the Add and Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel to remove Windows Media Player and then download and install it from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology= (make sure you download the correct version for your flavor of Windows).

6. Try using a different player (such as QuickTime, WinAmp or RealOne) to see if you get the same problem.  If you don't, Windows Media Player is likely to blame.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 09:55:47 AM by pcdoc4christ »

wusaga

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
The problem is not just Windows Media Player.  It happens when I use NERO to burn a VCD.  If the process takes more than 20 minutes, the computer cuts off.  I will run a Windows DXdiag and see whats comes up.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »
Does it happen only when you are trying to use the DVD drive?  If so, it is likely a problem with the power supply (as GX1 mentioned) or a problem with the drive itself, or a problem with the fan on the CPU, or a you just might not have enough RAM installed to handle such large video files.  

If you can play CDs and burn CDs but have problems with video problems, i'd try adding more RAM to see if that works.

wusaga

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 10:10:47 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the event log info you were asking about.  I'm not to keen with computers  :-/

Event Type:      Information
Event Source:      EventLog
Event Category:      None
Event ID:      6009
Date:            2/24/2007
Time:            7:33:57 AM
User:            N/A
Computer:      YOUR-22CA86D5C4
Description:
Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Uniprocessor Free.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 10:22:29 AM »
Wusaga:

Don't worry about Information events.  Please find the event ID numbers for any Error events (those with a red circle and a white X) or Warning events (with a yellow triangle and a black !).

Thanks,
Doc

wusaga

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 01:42:31 PM »
Problem solved.  I went to the store and bought some compressed air and cleaned out the inside of my computer.  Haven't had a problem since!  Thanks!

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »
Now, why didn't i think of that?  The dust must have clogged the cooling vents causing overheating.  Good call wusaga!

8-)

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 08:10:55 AM »
[highlight]Heat[/highlight] or bad powersupply seem the most likely, but as we know absolutely nothing about your machine we can only speculate.

;)

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
[highlight]Heat[/highlight] or bad powersupply seem the most likely, but as we know absolutely nothing about your machine we can only speculate.

;)

Guess i could have saved myself four posts?

;D