Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP problems  (Read 10899 times)

kittymom

XP problems
« on: February 27, 2007, 02:54:19 PM »
first of all thanks for this site to come to!

This past week I started having problems with my XPHome machine.  Ran about 15 antivir-spyware-adware progs including RogueRemover, BugHunter, Smitrem. Got a couple small files taken care of.

The next day I started the machine, had to go to safemode because of a couple small problems that had just started, in each of the 3 safemodes,  got a 7B blue screen error. Went to MSoft, I don't have a Vista machine, reinstalled all my drivers, all were good.

My restore points (had 7 the previous night) were now gone.  A forum I have been trying to get help at suggested to go to msconfig and mark safemode.

Now it won't do ANYthing at all but the 7B blue screen.  Any way possible of telling it to "un"safemode.

I am beaten down and near mental death, have put in about 30 hrs with this without resolve.

Once you and I (hope-a-hope) get this machine back up, we will take care of the few problems that it did have, that now pale in comparison to what I am facing.....

Somewhat newbie here, know enuf to want to learn more, but not this way LOL

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: XP problems
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »
Do you have an XP install disk ?

What is the model number and
 brand name of your computer ?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

kittymom

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:55:49 PM »
thanks for the quick reply :):):):)

T3958 emachines (church gave it to me after my house fire)
they never come with install - I do have a full XPHome CD I purchased and also an XPPro for my other machine (lap).

May I say - if this is a good time, I was just about to backup everything for my business this week on Friday.  So if I can get the machine up n running without overwriting my work docs,contracts,etc. for my business, and get everything out of jail LOL that is optimum!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:37:22 PM »
Have you tried booting in safemode ?

I know you can use the hard drive as a slave in
another desktop to recover anything you may not
want to lose.

The original restore disks may have a repair option.

You can buy the original restore disks---->Here
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:42:01 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

kittymom

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 05:58:24 PM »
thanks street for your help and quick reply again....

from above post:
The next day I started the machine, had to go to safemode because of a couple small problems that had just started, in each of the 3 safemodes,  got a 7B blue screen error. Went to MSoft, I don't have a Vista machine, reinstalled all my drivers, all were good.

My restore points (had 7 the previous night) were now gone.  A forum I have been trying to get help at suggested to go to msconfig and mark safemode.

Now it won't do ANYthing at all but the 7B blue screen.  Any way possible of telling it to "un"safemode.

Now what will / can I lose in the machine with a repair install and I doubt that will fix the 7B error I have been getting..??

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:12:34 PM »
This is what you lose--->Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates isssued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.

Follow the guide below for a repair install.Sorry,about the
safemode question I should have read more closely.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:44:16 PM »
This has the look of disaster waiting to happen.  :o

kittymom

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 07:25:55 PM »
GX - any help is appreciated, from street or you or anyone here :)
Feel like I am going thru this with blinders on LOL

!

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 03:35:38 AM »
Here is a way to be able to boot up and save the files to a CD, etc.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515

If you have a real XP Home CD and that is what is on the machine you can try a repair install as described above or here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

If it were me I would back up the documents and then do a format and reinstall fresh. That solves all Windows problems, for a while.  ;)

kittymom

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:40:35 AM »
thanks SO much GX! I will go thru and if I have any questions, I will be back.  Always nervous doing something the very first time, 'cause sometimes the webpages don't tell you EVERYthing :):)
Just have to get past the autom scannow/bluescreen thingy! :)

dkdeath

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 07:48:36 AM »
you dont have to format a drive to install a new copy of windows , if you have >2 gb you can install another copy of windows on the same drive but at a differrent location, i suggest you do that and backup all your data, after that give it a fresh new install of xp

kittymom

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 09:44:15 AM »
thanks for the info also, dkd :)

great ideas all, I'll be back with results.
Right now I have shaky knees and shaky bladder LOL just thinking of going thru this!

kittymom

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 11:00:35 AM »
I have thought tihs thru, and I should be able to just take the drive out of the bad box and exchange it with my other 2.9 good machine/120gig driveslot.....just exchange drives.  I am uncertain if the C drive I will take out will conflict with the C drive I have in my second box.  Will this cause conflict, because of their designation?
Will the computer look for a diff size drive at bootup?

120gig now vs 40gig I would hook up to it from bad box.....

Just keep thinking on my 2nd puter: I can unhook cables, rehook cables on diff drive, screw it back up together and turn in on.....yes?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »
No. A drive from a different machine will not boot up properly unless the machines are almost identical...take GX1_Man's advice...back up what you can and do a clean install of Windows.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kittymom

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
thanks patio :)  Maybe I am missing something.....but right now I cannot get it out of scannow to backup my info....

2nd box is not emachine, but is 2.9ghz, diff CD drives.......dang.

Any ideas (I have apparently missed) how to get past the blue screen (get it out of autom scannow/blue screen/7B error) to where I can backup my info?????