Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sometimes RAM, Sometimes No RAM?!?  (Read 2131 times)

PDFCJimHall

Sometimes RAM, Sometimes No RAM?!?
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:01:35 AM »
Recently upgraded myh Toshiba Satellite with more RAM (128 more) and over 1/2 the time, my laptop will not recognize it's existence... Sounds like some kind of "short" in the hardware, but how do I find out for sure? As well, the screen occassionally goes "black" and is virtually illegible, the unit is on a chill-pad, is not overheating and upon turning off and restarting, all is OK... exceopt for that RAM recognition thing.
Any "self-help" ideas?!? Thanks to all...
Jymbeau :-?

GX1_Man

Re: Sometimes RAM, Sometimes No RAM?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 06:05:40 AM »
Either the RAM is not seated correctly, is bad, or is not compatible are the most common causes. Where did you get it and what exactly did you get? Just because it fits is not the only consideration.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:19:06 PM by GX1_Man »

PDFCJimHall

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:01:37 AM »
Got it online from Archmemory.com
The previous upgrade chip "burned out" and that's why I got the chill pad and thought there may be a short somewhere?!?
Thank you for your reply and help with this. Real novice at all of this...
Jim

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »
Got it online from Archmemory.com
[highlight]The previous upgrade chip "burned out" [/highlight]and that's why I got the chill pad and thought there may be a short somewhere?!?
Thank you for your reply and help with this. Real novice at all of this...
Jim

Well that is some important information to include. Try the known good RAM alone in each slot. You need to isolate where the problem is.

As I asked, what were the characteristics of the RAM, not just the speed? Go to www.crucial.com, input your model number and see the details.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 01:10:56 PM »
You might also tell us how old the laptop is

When a chip, such as RAM, "burns out", it doesent necessarily mean literately burning.
Just that it might have received too much power (due to power input, like electrical surge, perhaps even power outage ends)

Just that the chip was damaged. (Though, sometimes, problems will occur where it looks like a fire happened.)