Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help.  (Read 4510 times)

hndaklr8480

Topic Starter

Rookie

Please help.
    « on: March 01, 2007, 01:27:44 PM »
    I have a gateway laptop and it is not the newest machine but is plenty to browse the internet and my wife to do her pictures and myspace.  It runs windows xp profesional.  I was hooking up a new computer so i could have two running at the sametime.  I was trying to shut down the laptop and it was like that laptop was just plain ignoring me.  It wasn't doing anything, but everything else work i could still browse the os and run other programs.  It just refused to shut off.  So after getting tired of waiting i just pulled the plug.  When I got around to hooking up my router and the laptop again, I plugged the laptop back in and it had to reinstall windows all together from the files that were on the hard drive.  That is all said and done and the computer is working normally except for the fact that my computer doesn't even know that the network card that is in it, is there.  When i try to find it, it just tells me that the appropriate hardware is not installed and the driver for my network card is nowhere to be found.  I really don't want to have to rip the laptop open.  Is there a solution to this problem?  Is there a way to tell my computer that the network card is there?  If anyone has any tip or can help please let me know i would appriciate it thanx.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Please help.
    « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
    Go to the manufacturer's site and try to find the driver for the network card.
    That might help you out.

hndaklr8480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 01:39:56 PM »
      how do i go about finding what kind of card it is without ripping my computer apart?

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
        • Yes
        • JSPCRepair
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:16:28 PM »
      Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:21:19 PM »
      If it is an onboard wireless within the Gateway, go to their site and download the drivers for that model number.

If it is an add on card, remove it and see what it says on it.