Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removing fan from socket 7 (Pentium 1)  (Read 14670 times)

Raptor

Removing fan from socket 7 (Pentium 1)
« on: October 12, 2004, 08:52:28 AM »
How can I remove the fan from a Pentium 1 fan? It does not seem to be attached with screws.

Punga

Re: Removing fan from socket 7 (Pentium 1)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 09:01:20 AM »
Pentium 1 fan eh?...... well..... considering how near ancient it is.... it's probably attached with some REALLY old Thermal stuff....... so just pull as hard as you can........ If you destroy the processor.... meh.... it's just a pentium 1 :P.... I got a few of those sittin around here that I could send you if you want it that bad.

gmcfan

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 09:05:46 AM »
    Is it a Pentium Overdrive? Or does it just have a regular fan?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »
    Hey, Punga, if you pay the shipping costs you're welcome to send 'm all over.  ;D

It seems that it's a "CPU Cool" CPU Fan.. It's made in America.. Born in the USA, tum tum, Born in the USA..

Wheter it's an Overdrive or not, beats me, I've never before seen a Pentium 1. It's installed on a P55T2P4, judging from what I have read and the colour I'd say it's Asus.

I've got a few other questions;

1. I've got an old 14" Samtron monitor with a 15 male pin connector. A few pins are missing and one's seems to be pushed flat. Does this affect quality in anyway?

2. How do I know if the maximum amount of MB RAM is installed and what would be the most superior RAM out there for old Pentium 1 systems?

Much obliged.

Punga

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 10:02:21 AM »

The pins MIGHT affect the quality if the picture.... ex: more of a red tint or blue or whatever tint to the picture, but that is only a chance.

no idea about the ram...

Nah... not gonna pay for shipping... if you do, I'll send 2 pentium 1's and an old celeron... I have no use for them

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 10:38:36 AM »
    How can I remove the fan from a Pentium 1 fan? It does not seem to be attached with screws.

Does it look like this?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 10:54:16 AM »
    I would upload a photo of the case I am working on, but Uploadit.org is down. Any alternatives?

It does, in a way, look like the photo you posted, Computer Commando. It's entirely black, though. And mine only has one  power connector.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 10:58:11 AM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 11:03:48 AM »
    Most (if not all) P1's didn't even have fans.  They used large heatsinks.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:04:54 AM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 11:04:06 AM »
    I seem to have 3 seperate IDE cables per Mainboard; does it matter what IDE cable I place where (Primairy, secundairy and Floppy all seem to be printed on the Mainboard)

I donot know if this goes for ATX mainboards as well, to be honest, I never bothered looking.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 11:11:32 AM »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 11:12:06 AM »
    I seem to have 3 seperate IDE cables per Mainboard; does it matter what IDE cable I place where (Primairy, secundairy and Floppy all seem to be printed on the Mainboard)

I donot know if this goes for ATX mainboards as well, to be honest, I never bothered looking.

Hasn't changed for ATX, primary and secondary are the same (40-pins) and can have 2 or 3 connectors, 1 for the mainboard and up to 2 devices (master and slave).  FDD is different (34-pins), with a twist in the center, it can have 2 or 3 connectors, connector at end is master connector in middle is slave.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 11:16:52 AM »
    That explains the twist I always keep seeing. And here I was thinking of it as a fabrication error...

Do I have to add a secundairy IDE cable? I only require one for the HDD and one for the FDD.

Also, how can I obtain Windows 3.11 and the latest MSDOS?

MS-DOS 7.10
    seems to be able to provide me with 7.10, but is this an official MS-DOS?
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:19:59 AM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 11:19:33 AM »
    your pic

There should be a Socket 7 hold-down clamp on the heatsink.  Can't see it in the picture.  Remove the whole thing from the ZIF.  If it doesn't come out, the clamp is there, if it does, clamp is missing.

Here's the instructions:  http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Reviews/cpufan/socket7/vantec_2.htm

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 11:20:32 AM »
    There is a brownish clamp, indeed. I did not want to use it because I wasn't sure wheter that would remove the fan as well.

I have tried using it, but it doesn't budge. The fan does not seem to be connected as it is displayed on the photos. Could it be that it is just glued on using some sort of dubious thermal paste?

Also, I've got an IDE cable with a twist in it that seems to have 5 connectors - 3 small ones and 2 big ones. What are those used for?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:23:51 AM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 11:39:51 AM »
    That explains the twist I always keep seeing. And here I was thinking of it as a fabrication error...

Do I have to add a secundairy IDE cable? I only require one for the HDD and one for the FDD.

Also, how can I obtain Windows 3.11 and the latest MSDOS?

MS-DOS 7.10
    seems to be able to provide me with 7.10, but is this an official MS-DOS?

FDD cable hasn't changed since 1st PC, 5 1/4" drive will work, too.

Not required to connect secondary IDE, BIOS will auto-detect.  Old BIOS might not detect drives larger than 500MB (not GB).

MS-DOS 7.1 is DOS for Win98.  Win3.1 requires DOS6.22
    Win3.11 is Windows for Workgroups.

http://www.computerhope.com/win3x.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows

http://www.computerhope.com/history/windows.htm
    http://www.computerhope.com/history/dos.htm

Raptor

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 11:45:54 AM »
    How do I obtain Windows 3.1?

And what are these female connectors on the IDE cable? Are they for 5 1/4" inch Floppy drives?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 11:59:28 AM »

(1) Could it be that it is just glued on using some sort of dubious thermal paste?

(2) Also, I've got an IDE cable with a twist in it that seems to have 5 connectors - 3 small ones and 2 big ones. What are those used for?

(1) Probably.   Trying prying off with hand, no pliers.

(2) FDD interface was located on ISA plug-in card.  Ignore it.  Also, 1st CDROMS (1X) on P1-60 attached to audio card.  Some older equipment will work in newer computers and some won't, even if the physical connectors are the same.  Hardware was changing so fast, standards hadn't settled down.  This was the start of Big Changes, 386/486 processors to Pentium Processors, ISA bus to PCI bus.  Everyone demanded backward compatibility!!  DOS had to work on all new hardware, then Windows had to work with DOS, and now no more DOS.  Many lines of code in Windows XP are left over from DOS.  How many?...I don't know.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 12:04:38 PM »

(1)  How do I obtain Windows 3.1?

(2)  And what are these female connectors on the IDE cable? Are they for 5 1/4" inch Floppy drives?

(1) Search Google.  Still many Win3.1 users.  I've got it on a 486 notebook that has no FD and no CD.

http://www.hitechcafe.com/eshop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=14&sku=XC6000

(2) Connected to edge-connector on top of the ISA plug-in card.  If you saw the card, it would be obvious.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 12:10:19 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 12:10:04 PM »

(1) Search Google

(2) Connected to edge-connector on top of the ISA plug-in card.  If you saw the card, it would be obvious.

1. Is it legal to obtain Windows 3.1 even from questionable sources?

2. Why do ISA expansion cards require IDE cables?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 12:16:48 PM »

1. Is it legal to obtain Windows 3.1 even from questionable sources?

2. Why do ISA expansion cards require IDE cables?

1.  If it's an original, you can purchase it and install it.  If source is questionable, don't purchase it.

2.  Card doesn't require cable, device requires card.  IDE connector on motherboard for HDD only.  Older hard drives (non-IDE) required interface card.  1st CDROM's required interface card.  Similar to SATA, now.  Some motherboards have SATA interface, many don't, so interface card is required for SATA HDD.  Someday, no more IDE, it will all be SATA (Serial ATA).
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 12:23:16 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 12:51:50 PM »
    If I were to install Windows 3.X what version would I need?

merlin_2

Computer_Commando

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 02:34:40 PM »
    If I were to install Windows 3.X what version would I need?

Computer as standalone or networked?  Windows 3.1 requires 3rd party drivers, which do not always operate; Windows 3.11 has networking built-in.  You will also need DOS6.22, which is not included with Windows 3.x.

Here's some Windows 3.x links:
    http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/pc/networking.html

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wfw311ni.htm

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/win31.htm
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 02:36:58 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 01:51:17 PM »
    Thanks for the link, Merlin.

Could I install Windows 95 on a 85MB HDD? Two of my AT cases (Time Desktops) donot seem to be able to fit CD-ROM drives - If I'd put the CD-ROM drive on an IDE and power cable, without mounting it, would it still work properly and safe?

As for Windows 3.1 or DOS 6.22, I would only need to install these programs in order to test the HDD's.. Is there no HDD testing software?

Raptor

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 02:10:08 PM »
    Is there Hardware testing software that can be run without using an OS?

How is properly connecting IDE cables done?

I see I have 1 primairy, 1 secundairy and 1 floppy IDE cable on the motherboards, if I were to connect the primairy IDE cable to both the HDD and the CD-ROM, would  that make them Primairy Master and Primairy Slave?  

What happens if you turn the connector of an IDE cable around? (Not all of those older IDE cables seem to have a missing pin)  

I've got one ISA card that has got one of those connectors for an IDE card, what is it for? It's a Trident TVGA8900B videocard  

Computer_Commando

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2004, 02:14:38 PM »
    (1)  Could I install Windows 95 on a 85MB HDD?

(2) If I'd put the CD-ROM drive on an IDE and power cable, without mounting it, would it still work properly and safe?

(3) As for Windows 3.1 or DOS 6.22, I would only need to install these programs in order to test the HDD's.. Is there no HDD testing software?

(1) Plenty of space.  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;138349

(2) If it doesn't fall off.

(3) Every HD manufacturer has testing software.  Most have a boot floppy version, so no OS or even format is required.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2004, 02:23:20 PM »

(1) Is there Hardware testing software that can be run without using an OS?

(2) How is properly connecting IDE cables done?

I see I have 1 primairy, 1 secundairy and 1 floppy IDE cable on the motherboards, if I were to connect the primairy IDE cable to both the HDD and the CD-ROM, would  that make them Primairy Master and Primairy Slave?  

(3) What happens if you turn the connector of an IDE cable around? (Not all of those older IDE cables seem to have a missing pin)  

(4) I've got one ISA card that has got one of those connectors for an IDE card, what is it for? It's a Trident TVGA8900B videocard  

(1)  Yes

(2)  Primary and Secondary IDE chain can have 2 devices, a master and a slave, set by jumper on the back of the device.  You can have 4 devices, 2 Masters and 2 Slaves.  Doesn't matter who's on what.

(3)  It won't work.  Every ribbon cable has a Pin#1, denoted by the red stripe on the cable and a little tiny arrow on the plastic connector.  If no label on the device, Pin#1 (red stripe) is on side facing power connector.

(4)  Ignore it.  Some Trident info:
    http://www.anime.net/~gigagon/trident/trident.htm
    « Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 02:36:13 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2004, 02:35:49 PM »
    1. Do I require a specific type of software for each type of Hard Disk Drive?

2. I have unformatted Imation 2DD floppy disks here. I cannot format them, Windows XP tells me it could not continue formatting, I have tried several floppies and as a result, I cannot create Boot disks. Am I doing something wrong?

(1) Is there Hardware testing software that can be run without using an OS?
    where and how do I obtain this kind of software? What can it do? Are there freeware versions avaible?
    « Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 02:37:30 PM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2004, 02:41:37 PM »
    1. Do I require a specific type of software for each type of Hard Disk Drive?

2. I have unformatted Imation 2DD floppy disks here. I cannot format them, Windows XP tells me it could not continue formatting, I have tried several floppies and as a result, I cannot create Boot disks. Am I doing something wrong?

1.  Yes.  Available for free download from every manufacturer (if they're still in business).  BTW, Quantum was purchased by Maxtor and Maxtor software will work on Quantum drives.  Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi all have software.  IBM drives are now Hitachi.

2.  2DD are older double density disks, formatted capacity of 720kB.  Notice only one hole for the write protect?  They can be formatted.  Under Format, there's a pull-down for Capacity.
    « Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 02:46:03 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2004, 02:48:02 PM »
    These Disks have 1.0MB written on them. Windows XP only offers me one choice under capacity: 3,5", 1.44MB, 512Bytes per sector

Is there testing software for avaible for other hardware as well?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2004, 02:56:40 PM »
    These Disks have 1.0MB written on them. Windows XP only offers me one choice under capacity: 3,5", 1.44MB, 512Bytes per sector

Is there testing software for avaible for other hardware as well?

I'm in Win2k, now, it offers 2 choices.  I'll boot to XP and see.

There is lots of testing software, search Google.

Raptor

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »
    I am aware of testing software such as Sisoft Sandra, etc - but is there testing software that is capable of being ran without having an Operating System installed?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2004, 03:14:05 PM »
    I am aware of testing software such as Sisoft Sandra, etc - but is there testing software that is capable of being ran without having an Operating System installed?

I'm in XP, now.  It offers no choice of capacity! The pulldown is there, but only one choice.  It's good to have Multiple OS's!

http://www.uwec.edu/help/WinXP/exp-disk.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk

The manufacturer's testing software creates a boot disk; HD can be unformatted with no OS.

Western Digital tools:  http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#diagutils

Look for:  Data Lifeguard v11.0 for DOS
    The DOS version is required if installing a hard drive in a new system without existing operating system support.

If I must purchase a drive, I only use Western Digital.  Most reliable, good support, still around after all these years!

Maxtor/Quantum Powermax
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.0824c7a6b4e96a26d99844a791346068/?&epi_menuID=0824c7a6b4e96a26d99844a791346068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Support&epi_menuItemID=0824c7a6b4e96a26d99844a791346068

« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 04:51:38 PM by Computer_Commando »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2004, 06:07:33 PM »

This was bothering me, figured out how to do it.
    Microsoft has a support page about this, but doesn't tell you how to do it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q302/1/13.ASP&NoWebContent=1

From the command prompt:
    format a: /t:80 /n:9

Raptor

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2004, 02:20:28 AM »
    The links are much obliged.

Will 720KB floppies suffice as bootdisks and diagonstic disks?

The format command seems to have worked like a charm. Could you tell me what these parameters mean?

This Data Lifeguard Diagnostics - DLGDIAG for Windows seems to be for EIDE, USB and Firewire. Would it work for IDE as well?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004, 10:00:15 AM »
    The links are much obliged.

(1) Will 720KB floppies suffice as bootdisks and diagonstic disks?

(2) The format command seems to have worked like a charm. Could you tell me what these parameters mean?

(3) This Data Lifeguard Diagnostics - DLGDIAG for Windows seems to be for EIDE, USB and Firewire. Would it work for IDE as well?

(1) No.  Download file creates boot floppy in same manner as http://www.bootdisk.com

(2) At command prompt type:  format /?

(3)  EIDE is Extended IDE (as in ATA66, ATA100, ATA133), consider it the same.

Raptor

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2004, 10:03:21 AM »
    From the command prompt:
    format a: /t:80 /n:9

(2) The format command seems to have worked like a charm. Could you tell me what these parameters mean?  

What I meant was: What do the parameters  /t:80 /n:9 mean?

I did as you said, and I formatted the disk only to find out that I require 1.44MB floppies..

Computer_Commando

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2004, 10:12:51 AM »

What I meant was: What do the parameters  /t:80 /n:9 mean?

Follow my instructions in Reply#35 and it will tell you what they mean.
    t=tracks
    n=sectors

Raptor

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2004, 10:15:18 AM »

Follow my instructions in Reply#35 and it will tell you what they mean.
    t=tracks
    n=sectors

Thanks, I learnt more about Tracks and Sectors today, thanks to these older BIOS.

If a hard drive is MANUALLY configured (User) with the settings provided by Computerhope.com and it still shows 'hard disk failure' does that mean it's the hard drive that's malfunctioning or should I only use the AUTO function in the BIOS?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2004, 10:36:46 AM »
    ...If a hard drive is MANUALLY configured (User) with the settings provided by Computerhope.com and it still shows 'hard disk failure' does that mean it's the hard drive that's malfunctioning or should I only use the AUTO function in the BIOS?

Choose whatever drive number (1-47) gives full capacity.  You may have to try every one.  You must determine what the drive is, by researching the make and model number.  Some drives may never show or use full capacity.  I had a Pentium-60, Master was 450MB, Slave was 500MB.  I tried every setting in BIOS and 500MB was never recognized as more than 250MB.  I formatted it as 250MB and used it with no problem as the "D" drive.