Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removing fan from socket 7 (Pentium 1)  (Read 14822 times)

Raptor

Re: Removing fan from socket 7 (Pentium 1)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 11:45:54 AM »
How do I obtain Windows 3.1?

And what are these female connectors on the IDE cable? Are they for 5 1/4" inch Floppy drives?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 11:59:28 AM »

(1) Could it be that it is just glued on using some sort of dubious thermal paste?

(2) Also, I've got an IDE cable with a twist in it that seems to have 5 connectors - 3 small ones and 2 big ones. What are those used for?

(1) Probably.   Trying prying off with hand, no pliers.

(2) FDD interface was located on ISA plug-in card.  Ignore it.  Also, 1st CDROMS (1X) on P1-60 attached to audio card.  Some older equipment will work in newer computers and some won't, even if the physical connectors are the same.  Hardware was changing so fast, standards hadn't settled down.  This was the start of Big Changes, 386/486 processors to Pentium Processors, ISA bus to PCI bus.  Everyone demanded backward compatibility!!  DOS had to work on all new hardware, then Windows had to work with DOS, and now no more DOS.  Many lines of code in Windows XP are left over from DOS.  How many?...I don't know.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 12:04:38 PM »

(1)  How do I obtain Windows 3.1?

(2)  And what are these female connectors on the IDE cable? Are they for 5 1/4" inch Floppy drives?

(1) Search Google.  Still many Win3.1 users.  I've got it on a 486 notebook that has no FD and no CD.

http://www.hitechcafe.com/eshop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=14&sku=XC6000

(2) Connected to edge-connector on top of the ISA plug-in card.  If you saw the card, it would be obvious.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 12:10:19 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 12:10:04 PM »

(1) Search Google

(2) Connected to edge-connector on top of the ISA plug-in card.  If you saw the card, it would be obvious.

1. Is it legal to obtain Windows 3.1 even from questionable sources?

2. Why do ISA expansion cards require IDE cables?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 12:16:48 PM »

1. Is it legal to obtain Windows 3.1 even from questionable sources?

2. Why do ISA expansion cards require IDE cables?

1.  If it's an original, you can purchase it and install it.  If source is questionable, don't purchase it.

2.  Card doesn't require cable, device requires card.  IDE connector on motherboard for HDD only.  Older hard drives (non-IDE) required interface card.  1st CDROM's required interface card.  Similar to SATA, now.  Some motherboards have SATA interface, many don't, so interface card is required for SATA HDD.  Someday, no more IDE, it will all be SATA (Serial ATA).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 12:23:16 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 12:51:50 PM »
If I were to install Windows 3.X what version would I need?

merlin_2

Computer_Commando

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 02:34:40 PM »
If I were to install Windows 3.X what version would I need?

Computer as standalone or networked?  Windows 3.1 requires 3rd party drivers, which do not always operate; Windows 3.11 has networking built-in.  You will also need DOS6.22, which is not included with Windows 3.x.

Here's some Windows 3.x links:
http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/pc/networking.html

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wfw311ni.htm

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/win31.htm
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 02:36:58 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 01:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the link, Merlin.

Could I install Windows 95 on a 85MB HDD? Two of my AT cases (Time Desktops) donot seem to be able to fit CD-ROM drives - If I'd put the CD-ROM drive on an IDE and power cable, without mounting it, would it still work properly and safe?

As for Windows 3.1 or DOS 6.22, I would only need to install these programs in order to test the HDD's.. Is there no HDD testing software?

Raptor

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 02:10:08 PM »
Is there Hardware testing software that can be run without using an OS?

How is properly connecting IDE cables done?

I see I have 1 primairy, 1 secundairy and 1 floppy IDE cable on the motherboards, if I were to connect the primairy IDE cable to both the HDD and the CD-ROM, would  that make them Primairy Master and Primairy Slave?  

What happens if you turn the connector of an IDE cable around? (Not all of those older IDE cables seem to have a missing pin)  

I've got one ISA card that has got one of those connectors for an IDE card, what is it for? It's a Trident TVGA8900B videocard  

Computer_Commando

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2004, 02:14:38 PM »
(1)  Could I install Windows 95 on a 85MB HDD?

(2) If I'd put the CD-ROM drive on an IDE and power cable, without mounting it, would it still work properly and safe?

(3) As for Windows 3.1 or DOS 6.22, I would only need to install these programs in order to test the HDD's.. Is there no HDD testing software?

(1) Plenty of space.  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;138349

(2) If it doesn't fall off.

(3) Every HD manufacturer has testing software.  Most have a boot floppy version, so no OS or even format is required.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2004, 02:23:20 PM »

(1) Is there Hardware testing software that can be run without using an OS?

(2) How is properly connecting IDE cables done?

I see I have 1 primairy, 1 secundairy and 1 floppy IDE cable on the motherboards, if I were to connect the primairy IDE cable to both the HDD and the CD-ROM, would  that make them Primairy Master and Primairy Slave?  

(3) What happens if you turn the connector of an IDE cable around? (Not all of those older IDE cables seem to have a missing pin)  

(4) I've got one ISA card that has got one of those connectors for an IDE card, what is it for? It's a Trident TVGA8900B videocard  

(1)  Yes

(2)  Primary and Secondary IDE chain can have 2 devices, a master and a slave, set by jumper on the back of the device.  You can have 4 devices, 2 Masters and 2 Slaves.  Doesn't matter who's on what.

(3)  It won't work.  Every ribbon cable has a Pin#1, denoted by the red stripe on the cable and a little tiny arrow on the plastic connector.  If no label on the device, Pin#1 (red stripe) is on side facing power connector.

(4)  Ignore it.  Some Trident info:
http://www.anime.net/~gigagon/trident/trident.htm
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 02:36:13 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2004, 02:35:49 PM »
1. Do I require a specific type of software for each type of Hard Disk Drive?

2. I have unformatted Imation 2DD floppy disks here. I cannot format them, Windows XP tells me it could not continue formatting, I have tried several floppies and as a result, I cannot create Boot disks. Am I doing something wrong?

(1) Is there Hardware testing software that can be run without using an OS?
where and how do I obtain this kind of software? What can it do? Are there freeware versions avaible?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 02:37:30 PM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2004, 02:41:37 PM »
1. Do I require a specific type of software for each type of Hard Disk Drive?

2. I have unformatted Imation 2DD floppy disks here. I cannot format them, Windows XP tells me it could not continue formatting, I have tried several floppies and as a result, I cannot create Boot disks. Am I doing something wrong?

1.  Yes.  Available for free download from every manufacturer (if they're still in business).  BTW, Quantum was purchased by Maxtor and Maxtor software will work on Quantum drives.  Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi all have software.  IBM drives are now Hitachi.

2.  2DD are older double density disks, formatted capacity of 720kB.  Notice only one hole for the write protect?  They can be formatted.  Under Format, there's a pull-down for Capacity.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 02:46:03 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2004, 02:48:02 PM »
These Disks have 1.0MB written on them. Windows XP only offers me one choice under capacity: 3,5", 1.44MB, 512Bytes per sector

Is there testing software for avaible for other hardware as well?