Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Iomega Zip failure  (Read 6791 times)

MacApple

Iomega Zip failure
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:44:51 PM »
I have a one year old (2006) iMac and an external Iomega 100 Zip drive that is less than one year old. A zip disc was in the drive, and I left the computer for a little while, causing it to go to sleep. When I returned, I pressed the spacebar to wake it up, and an error message came on saying the device was not removed properly, but I didn't try to remove it. Maybe I should have clicked the "OK" button on the message, but I didn't do anything, and after a few minutes the zip disc ejected itself (by itself) and the message went away. When I re-inserted the zip disc, this message came up: "The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer." I then re-started the machine, re-inserted the zip disc, and the same message came up. Other zip discs have worked fine since this happened. Did I lose the data on my disc? Did the machine going to sleep with the disc in the zip drive and/or not clicking the "OK" button cause this to happen? Thanks for your help.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Iomega Zip failure
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »
If possible, use the DiskCheck program on the removable drive

It may be possible that you need to reformat the drive, using a Windows computer (which, can sometimes be better at managing these problems)

To remove a device with the Macintosh OS
Either drag it to the trash can, or select the device on the desktop, and press that funny cloverleaf-type key and E to Eject
Due to the nature of the function, if the external drive has an actual hard drive inside it, you should ALWAYS eject the drive first

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 06:43:12 AM »
yes, in mac going into sleep will sometimes forcefully "eject" the drive causing it to be unreadable, this happened to a 60gb Western Digital external hard drive a teacher was using in my 3d graphics and design class.. quite funny, it wouldnt work on her computer anymore, so she had to  log onto her computer via one of the student EMacs, and transfer the data back to her computer because the hard drive worked on every other computer but hers (sometimes when this happens it will not work on any other computer at all), then she had to format it, plug it back into her computer, and put the data back onto it. macs are a bit tempermental about hot swapping drives...

(i feel like i am violating some sacred code with my sig in this section)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:44:00 AM by Dead_reckon »

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:21:19 PM »
Lack of good PnP support, thats what I would say

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 04:53:25 PM »
Lack of good PnP support, thats what I would say

a lot of macs have a lack of PnP support.. 'less you pay like.. two grand for one of the newer ones or whatever the ones with the C2D's cost..