Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connect/disconnect wireless internet in Windows ME  (Read 8578 times)

rak

Connect/disconnect wireless internet in Windows ME
« on: March 08, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »
Hi. I’m looking for an easy way to connect / disconnect from a wireless broadband internet connection on a Windows ME computer.

The available means I have of doing this seem to cause problems. I recently installed a Belkin G Wireless Desktop Card on the computer. This puts a little antenna icon in the system tray which glows green when I’m connected to the router, red when I’m not. When I right-click on the icon, I get the option to ‘Disable / Enable Radio’, but if I click ‘Disable’, it won’t pick up a signal when I manually re-enable it later.

Similarly, when I open the Belkin Wireless Utility screen, there are options to ‘Connect / Disconnect’ from my router, and to turn off automatic connection to the router’s signal on startup. However, if I turn off the automatic connection or click ‘Disconnect’, I sometimes can’t then manually connect later. I’m keen to be able to connect / disconnect at will because I’m always hearing that always on equals always vulnerable.

When I connect using dial-up, a little two-screen icon appears in the system tray. When I double-click on this, a Dial-up Connection Status box appears that tells me how long I’ve been connected and gives me the option to disconnect. Is there any way to configure a similar utility for a wireless connection in Windows ME?

Alternatively, is there any program out there (preferably freeware, preferably low-usage in terms of system resources) that will do a similar job?

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.