Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista Help  (Read 4932 times)

Bobomaster

Vista Help
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »
I am thinking about building my own computer but have a question regarding Vista. I would get Home Premium. It costs $240. Looking through Amazon.com I found this http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-32-bit-Builders/dp/B000MFDJ1A What is the difference between these two? Thanks for any help.

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Vista Help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 01:07:04 AM »
I have a monitor set to 1280 x 1024 resolution.  This was halfway down the first page without any scrolling.

NOTE: This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end-user support for the software.

In case that crappy technical jargon didn't make any sense (which crappy technical jargon usually doesn't), here's what it means:
1)You get one license to install it.  Once you install it, that's the only machine you get to install it on.  If your harddrive dies, etc., you have to buy it again.
2)There are some things you have to comply with, usually very easily.
3)Microsoft isn't going to give you customer support.

-rock
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 08:54:42 AM »
So, you can never replace your hard drive?   :-?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 11:52:28 AM »
    You might consider saving yourself 240 big-ones and try Linux.  All their OS's are free to download and as much better, IMHO, than Windoze.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

I'm in the process of dumping Windoze and using Ubuntu Linux.  It takes a bit of a learning curve but it is a much more stable OS then Windoze.

It's free, give it a try  ;)

Alan <><  :D

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 01:09:24 PM »
    I have a monitor set to 1280 x 1024 resolution.  This was halfway down the first page without any scrolling.

NOTE: This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end-user support for the software.

In case that crappy technical jargon didn't make any sense (which crappy technical jargon usually doesn't), here's what it means:
    1)You get one license to install it.  Once you install it, that's the only machine you get to install it on.  If your harddrive dies, etc., you have to buy it again.
    2)There are some things you have to comply with, usually very easily.
    3)Microsoft isn't going to give you customer support.

-rock

This is inaccurate at best...how many corporate users would switch to this OS if a HDD failure meant spending all that money over again ? ?

There is plenty of reading at MS's website in regards to this...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Saviour

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:51:47 PM »
    I am thinking about building my own computer but have a question regarding Vista. I would get Home Premium. It costs $240. Looking through Amazon.com I found this http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-32-bit-Builders/dp/B000MFDJ1A What is the difference between these two? Thanks for any help.

The System Builder version you are looking to buy comes with one license.  It is for one machine.  If your hard drive takes a dump, then you'll have to reinstall the OS on another hard drive.  You can use the same version you purchased, but would have to go through the same process of verifying your copy to Microsoft...same as you did when and if you had to reinstall XP.

Basically, the difference between the two versions is this:

1)  With the System Builder version, you can buy multiple licenses to put Vista on as many machines as you have licenses for...using that one version you purchased.

2)  The retail full-version is for one machine alone and one license.

I hope this explained it a little better.

Personally, I'd purchase the Vista Premium retail version...or you can do what ale52 stated and try another OS...that's entirely up to you.

You said you're thinking about ordering it from Amazon...well do some research and save a couple of bucks...

Here ya go:  Windows Vista Home Premium (Full Version on DVD)