Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disc Drive  (Read 2827 times)

mylogin

Disc Drive
« on: March 13, 2007, 04:49:56 PM »
My problem is what i'm guessing is my comp not recognizing my disc drive. I recently discovered that i had left a dvd in there (more of a backup disc with saved files on it) for about two weeks, and i took it out, then put it back in because it had something i wanted to watch on it, and the computer wouldn't recognize it. I went to my computer and saw only C: and "xxxxx" 's documents (replace xxxxx with each user of the computer). I rebooted and that didn't help either. I still cannot get my computer to recognize the disc (and/or drive), i've even tried some of the driver updates/repairs from dell's website (yes, i own a dell, please don't throw tomatoes at me >.<). Any suggestions on what this actually is, or how i can fix the problem?

Saviour

Re: Disc Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 04:56:38 PM »
First of all, we won't throw tomatoes at you for purchasing a Dell...but we will if you contact them for support! ;)

Seriously, though...have you tried restoring your computer using System Restore to an earlier time before this started happening?

Can you supply us with the Service tag for your Dell?  This will guide us in directing you to the correct support page for your Dell's drivers.

mylogin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 05:02:41 PM »
Yea, I've actually gone to them for help once or twice back when i was a newbie with computers. I waited on the phone for 45 mins just to talk to someone who had so thick an accent that i couldn't understand what he was saying. Then they told me that i had the wrong type of warranty, just a bunch of *censored*. That's why I'm asking you fine people now ^_^. Service Tag is: BMOSC81
I have not tried system restore yet, but i think i will if you reccomend it. As per computer hardware and intricate software difficulties, i'm clueless, i've basically taught myself what's what and how to diagnose little things since i got it a year ago so use complex computer lingo sparingly please ^_^
Thanks in advance

Saviour

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »
Before you go through with the System Restore.

Turn your computer off.  Unplug it from the electrical outlet.  Unplug all the peripherals and open the case.  All of this may not be necessary, but let's make sure we have no loose cables inside the computer...specifically the one from your disc drive.  Make sure you remain grounded while doing this so you don't produce an electrostatic discharge which may fry fragile components.  Just make sure you're touching the exposed metal case to keep yourself grounded at all times.

If you're sure the cables are all fine, then you can continue with the System Restore...

Are you familiar with how to do it?

1)  Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.

Just follow the directions to restore your computer to an earlier time...before all of this started happening.

If you've already been to Dell's website...I'll assume you have the correct driver installed for your disc drive.

By the way...are you sure that's the Service Tag?

Keep us posted...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:34:29 PM by Saviour »

mylogin

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:46:09 PM »
EUREKA! It's finally working now! However, not because i followed your steps (or maybe it is...) heehee.
i unplugged everything, and got my screwdriver and flashlight, and looked at the back of the comp. Instead of screws there are round pegs with a round indented center which will not fit anything as they are completely smooth. I did unscrew a back part which turned out to be the fan LoL. I cleaned the back of it off a little bit, it was filthy, and plugged everything back in. I could not get the case off, but was able to clean it so that's something i guess. so i turned it on, it acted normally and then i inserted the disc and a window came up that prompted me to choose what i wanted to do with the disc. I went to "my computer" and sure enough, it recognized the drive. But i'd also like to ask one other thing before i thank you: i keep getting a message that say "direct access component has encountered a problem and needs to close" at random times, and just now when i inserted the disc.
1) what is "direct access component" and
2) why do i get this message? what does it mean?
Thanks in Advance, and thanks for fixing my problem ^_^

Saviour

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »
By any chance...are you using Sonic Record Now or is it currently installed on your computer?

Also...is this an internal or external disc drive?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:08:22 PM by Saviour »

mylogin

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »
I used to have sonic record now, it came pre-installed; but i removed that after some people on my mmo told me it was crap. I'm not sure if i used the term "disc drive" right, but it's the internal one where you put discs in rofl =B

Saviour

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 05:24:46 AM »
I need to get some additional info...

1)  What operating system are you using?
2)  Any recent hardware or software changes?
3)  Did you recently go to Microsoft for updates...specifically SP2?
4)  If you no longer have Sonic Record Now installed, what are you using to burn CDs?
5)  Check Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to see if Sonic Record Now is there as well as DLA.

I'll wait for your response...but have to leave now...I'll get back to you.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 07:27:21 AM »
i unplugged everything, and got my screwdriver and flashlight, and looked at the back of the comp. Instead of screws there are round pegs with a round indented center which will not fit anything as they are completely smooth. I did unscrew a back part which turned out to be the fan LoL. [highlight]I cleaned the back of it off a little bit, it was filthy, and plugged everything back in. I could not get the case off, [/highlight]but was able to clean it so that's something i guess. ...
When you say you "could not get the case off", you mean you could not get it open, right?  If so, you should try to figure out how to open it.  The dirt you noticed around that fan - which I gather you were accessing only from the back of the computer, not by opening the case - gives you a clue that your computer probably has a lot of dust accumulated inside the case.  You can buy canisters of compressed air/gas at computer stores which are effective tools for blowing dust out of a computer.  An accumulation dust can reduce air circulation inside a computer case and that can contribute to heat problems.

However, this is probably not related to your current issue, which Savior is helping you with.  It's just something every computer owner should be aware of.

mylogin

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 10:24:58 AM »
I need to get some additional info...

1)  What operating system are you using?
2)  Any recent hardware or software changes?
3)  Did you recently go to Microsoft for updates...specifically SP2?
4)  If you no longer have Sonic Record Now installed, what are you using to burn CDs?
5)  Check Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to see if Sonic Record Now is there as well as DLA.

I'll wait for your response...but have to leave now...I'll get back to you.

Yea, i Couldn't get the case off because i have absolutely no knowledge of working with computer hardware. I've got some friends that do though, so i'll have them help me. but as to Saviour's questions:
1) I"m using Windows XP home edition
2) I recently did a bit of "swashbuckling" if you know what i mean, to "obtain" Adobe Audition 2.0, and that didn't run as planned, so i deleted it; I did install Spybot search and destroy, and i noticed that that messed with my registry (it kept saying 'edited xxxx from registry' and stuff like that, and i know from my step-sister that the registry is very important and shouldn't be f***ed with in almost any situation.) but this direct access component thing has been happening long before i installed my recent stuff.
3) I have not gone to Microsoft for updates, but i do have service pack 2, as i can see from control panel --> performance and maintenance --> see basic information about your computer.
4) I use "Stomp Recordnow Max" because my step sister who's a real whiz with computers told me that that was good, as well as nero, but i can never get nero to work for me. I use that for backing up; i use the Cucusoft Avi to DvD burner when i want to burn mpgs and avis to a dvd; other than those, i don't use anything, mostly recordnow max, and i got a driver update from dell when that wasn't burning backup discs right, but the update fixed it.
5) The only "DLA" thing i've ever seen was 'Stomp DLA' ; sonic recordnow is removed from my computer completely.

Saviour

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 12:40:17 PM »
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you...my daughter was in the hospital this morning and had her gall bladder removed.  She's only 11 years old...it was very upsetting for me.  She's my little angel and I hate it (like most parents do) when she's in pain.  She wants me to bring her ice cream tonight...so I think she's felling better.  Hope the hospital lets her have it.

Anyway...something you might want to be reading...I found this thread on another website and I think it pertains to your issue.  Please read the threads carefully...

http://hardware.mcse.ms/printthread.php?threadid=63380

From what I can understand from the thread, it seems that Stomp RecordNow Max has been discontinued.  along with this program, STOMP DLA probably was also installed.

If you have several different media burning software programs installed on your computer, it may be a good idea to choose one that you are comfortable using and remove the others.  Make sure the one you decide to save is able to record the media you want such as CDs and DVDs on your current disc drive.  It's usually a good idea to use the most current version of the software you decide to use.

Visit that vendors website to look for the most recent version which should be compatible with your disc drive as well as your operating system.  Download and install the latest version of that software.

Sometimes enabling DLA for a specific drive can cause the drive not to be recognized and you'll experience the problem you have currently described to me.  Especially if you are using Microsoft Backup to copy to that drive.

You can turn the DLA feature off, in Windows XP, by following these steps:

1. Right-click the drive name in My Computer.
2. Select Properties from the shortcut menu.
3. Click the DLA tab on the Properties dialog box.
4. Click the "Enable DLA on your drives" checkbox until
the checkmark disappears.
5. Click OK.

Now you should be able to back up to that drive.

Then turn it back on when you're done.

Again the link I gave you above should be read, carefully.  Before you make any changes.

One last thing...is that the only recordable drive you have on your system?  Do you have any other disc drives installed?

mylogin

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 08:10:30 PM »
nope, heh, i have just the one drive. Thanks for all of your help, but i must ask, what does DLA stand for and mean, and what is it's main function? is this what's giving me the direct access component message? by the way, hope your daughter feels better very soon =3

Saviour

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 04:10:25 AM »
DLA = Drive Letter Access....basically, allows you to drag and drop files to your rewritable CD.

Thank you...she's doing fine.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:11:08 AM by Saviour »