Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Home Install/HDD problem  (Read 4155 times)

yld

Windows XP Home Install/HDD problem
« on: March 16, 2007, 04:15:36 AM »
 Is it possible to ruin a HDD through software?

I was attempting to set up a Vista / XP home dual boot. I set up a new 50GB partition on the vista drive using disk management & shrink. When I went to install XP but XP didn't see the partition as 50GB but 131GB or 131072 MB to be exact (on a 320 sata drive).

I screwed around with volumes & partitions in diskpart, ended up dumping the Vista install. I think I got the disc back to its original size & shape of 320. Went back to Vista and used their install procedure to set the drive up again as C: 50 and D: 248 partitions. Went back to XP install but it wasn't seeing the 50 & 248 just this weird 131072 MB (for both C: and D: ) business again. So being fed up I just decided to install XP using the 131 size it was giving me but it's now in this loop where it then prepares to set up by copying files, resets, then asks me to do it all again (install on to what drive, format because there is *something* on there, copies files).

If I go back to Vista install and check it still gives me the option to install to either a 50 GB partition or a 248 GB partition.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is the drive screwed or is it an XP issue?

I've spent about 5 hours on this going around in circles and I'm going spare.

Saviour

Re: Windows XP Home Install/HDD problem
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:42:34 AM »
Something you might want to read:

http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

Hope you find it useful...

yld

Re: Windows XP Home Install/HDD problem
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 05:36:31 PM »
lol, that's the article that got me into trouble in the first place!

Thanks anyway.

I made a XP + SP2 CD to install from, turns out my old XP couldn't see my new ST3320620SV HDD but SP2 can. After I did this it saw the disk partitions correctly but I now get "Error loading operating system" during install.

After I tried install again and using XP to reset partitions all is good.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 01:23:42 AM by yld »