Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP error - will not log in  (Read 2064 times)

grub

Windows XP error - will not log in
« on: March 17, 2007, 08:34:44 AM »
I'm running windows XP media edition on a dell dimension and have mcafee anti-virus.
My computer randomly crashed today, during normal use, coming up with the blue screen that said windows had encountered an error and needed to shut down, along with a list of error codes that I failed to write down (kicking myself now).
I rebooted the computer and it ran checkdisk, which said the drive was "dirty"?, it completed the scan and then booted windows. It came up with the log-in screen, while I normally have windows auto log-in. It comes up only with my user name and the space to write my password. When I do so, it comes up with this error
"The system cannot log you on now because the domain <my domain name> is not available". It says this regardless of what password I type in, or if I type no password at all.
This same problem occurs when running safe mode. However during safe mode it also gives me an "administrator" option in the log-in screen, but it gives me the same error message when I type in a password or not.
I have not uninstalled/installed anything recently other than downloading a windows update that morning (a good 10 hours or so before the crash).

Any help/ideas would be very much appreciated, thank you

pcdoc4christ

Re: Windows XP error - will not log in
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 09:20:37 AM »
What is the stop error code?  That is, what are the first numbers after the word "STOP" that begin with 0x?

grub

Re: Windows XP error - will not log in
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:29:09 PM »
What is the stop error code?  That is, what are the first numbers after the word "STOP" that begin with 0x?

Thanks for the reply. I didn't write down the code, the blue screen hasn't appeared since the initial crash, and now when I reboot it just comes up with the windows login screen.
The message telling me that the system cannot log me on doesn't have an error code either.