Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 hard drives  (Read 2613 times)

marek1177

2 hard drives
« on: March 29, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »
i would like to install another hd on my comp so i conect it all up(both hds under same cable) i connect the power and i boot up the computer and it doesnt boot up xp? i think they are conflicting wut can i do?

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: 2 hard drives
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:08:22 PM »
Make sure that the Master/Slave jumper settings are configured properly.  You should have the main drive (the one with Windows installed on it) be the master, and the other one as slave.
Back In The Game

marek1177

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 06:13:37 PM »
i do that through the bios settings right? but in bios i go to select were i want to boot from the specific drive it says none are connected

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:22:38 PM »
The jumpers are the little pins on the back of the actual Hard Drive.  They are by the Power and IDE Cable connectors. 
Back In The Game

marek1177

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 06:43:26 PM »
im using IDE cables to connect the drives. the IDE cable connects to motherboard and has two connecters one is connected to my main drive and the other i want to connect my second HD

Mr.Paul

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 07:20:35 PM »
no, he means like next to the ide ports, there are some pins with a little white thing on them, you need to move that around so one is master and the other is slave, the pin settings are right on the cover on the hard drives, all you need is finger nails

marek1177

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »
ok i just google what i need to look for and i dont have a piece of plastic to slid, i have the pins and the settings are marked out but i dont have the sliding thinging

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 07:39:27 PM »
Grab one at a Computer store.
Or do you have any dead drives CD or HDD lying around ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

marek1177

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 07:42:16 PM »
would i need two plastics? cause i have one dead cd drive is there anyother way to do it ?

Mr.Paul

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »
Depends on the jumper settings, i mean if it says you only need one to set up the master i guess it would, but not having one might mean something else just depends on what the hard drive says