Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer performance problems  (Read 14678 times)

ewacb

computer performance problems
« on: March 14, 2004, 06:01:46 PM »
I'm running Windows XP and lately am dealing with frequent system crashes for no apparent reason. They do not seem to be virus-related as all the scans come clean. In a  number of different applications from time to time my computer either freezes and/or reboots. Today my whole user account got "erased" i.e. all my settings including my Favorites, all My Documents disappeared(while the other three user accounts remained accessible and untouched). Luckily this time I was able to get it back with System Resore.

Also my file Find function does not seem to locate files that I know exist. The "Shut Down" function doesn't quite shut the system down and sometimes gets stuck somewhere along the way. And the regular files/folders copied/sent to my CD RW become Read-Only??? I'm running out of ideas - does anyone have a clue what might be causing this kind of strange problems?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer performance problems
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 09:15:28 PM »
Ewacb,

Unfortunately troubleshooting frequent system crashes or locking up issues without knowing the related errors or programs causing can be difficult to troubleshoot, therefore we recommend you run through our basic windows XP trouble shooting section found on the below page to help locate and hopefully fix these issues, this page can be found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chwinxp.htm

We find it real concerning that your favorites, my documents and users settings were erased. To us this does indicate that either a virus is infected in the computer or more likely that a program and/or malicious user has some how gained access to your computer. First, make sure your virus definitions are up to date. Second, you may want to consider installing a spyware program on the computer to make sure your computer does not have any programs installed that may be changing your settings and/or trying to change settings that are causing settings to be lost. Information about spyware programs can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000578.htm

Finally, you may want to enable Windows XP firewall and/or install a third-party firewall program on the computer to make sure no one is gaining access to your computer that should not be. Information about installing the Windows XP firewall can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000551.htm

Finally, in regards to your CD-RW not copying files properly or causing files to become read-only we would recommend that you first of course verify you are burning to a CD-RW disc and if so attempt to reinstall your software for your CD-RW as it may have become corrupt.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Ramsey

Re: computer performance problems
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 01:00:48 PM »
It's possible that you have alot running in the background without even knowing it.  Try going to the start menu, clicking RUN, then typing MSCONFIG.  I find this to be a really good utility, you can disable programs from starting up when Windows starts in here.  Though I'd probably leave most of the services alone if you're not familiar with them.  Stick with the STARTUP tab for just the apps.

8)