Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfer Toshiba M200 tablet to Packard Bell imedia 3050 Desktop  (Read 5524 times)

peely533

Newbee here...need some advice.  I want to clone or backup-restore (basically dump!) my XP pro tablet laptop HDD to an old desktop, the former which I don't use any more thanks to a shiney new vista jobby.

Don't really need to do anything with the data, just need for it reference (contains business stuff). Can't use the Toshiba recovery disk on the Packard Bell (PB) as it appears to be machine-specific (thought about restoring OS on PB then transferring files) so could do with some ideas. (NB I've the CD box, CoA for Xp that was on the PB...but no recovery CD so can't do it that way either!!!).

Have a ghost image, checked & ok of the whole M200 disk.  There's a new formatted disk in the PB with no OS. Can you guys put forward some suggestions on how I could get the OS and data across and working without getting a BSoD.  PB 3050 drivers are available on manuf website, so need someone with a bigger brain than me to clarfiy the best way to achieve what I want to.

Thanks...

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Transfer Toshiba M200 tablet to Packard Bell imedia 3050 Desktop
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:38:36 PM »
You got a new laptop but you still have the old one, right?  So, why transfer the files on your old laptop to an old desktop? 

What OS is on the old desktop?  If you basically want to backup your data files from the old laptop onto the old desktop, then just copy them to it.  But, transferring the OS over is not a good idea, in my opinion, and is likely to be a messy procedure.  You could even end up with an inoperable desktop.

Also, why not transfer your data files over to the new laptop?

peely533

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:48:20 AM »
Thanks soybean...are you saying it can't be done..??

I note your comments on the other options - but they're not what I want to do/achieve - desktop doesn't have OS and I can't find the disk (see original post - was Xp Home), and I don't want all the old stuff on the new laptop....but I want it accessible on the spare desktop in the office should I need to refer to it.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 08:12:21 AM »
Well, it can't be done legally, since the OS on the Toshiba is clearly an OEM version and OEM editions of Windows are only legal on the original computer with which it was sold.  And, assuming you could physically do it, I believe you'd still have issues with re-activation of Windows because Win XP would behave as though it was installed on a new/different computer due to the hardware changes and it would stop functioning after 30 days unless you registered it, and you could not do that.  So, I'm not going to say anything further on the transfer idea. 

Apparently, you've wiped the hard drive on the PB or the OS on it is simply not functioning and, for some reason, you no longer have your recovery CD that came with that computer.  Unfortunately, the only legal remedy in that case is to buy an OS for it. 

I have a feeling we don't have the whole picture here.  Anyway, you can still access your old data on the old laptop.  So, I can't sympathize with you in this situation.