Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista upgrade.. Is this true?  (Read 5505 times)

debby_s

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Vista upgrade.. Is this true?
    « on: March 30, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
    Hi All,

I bought a new laptop just after xmas and sent off for the free vista home premium upgrade which I received today. I haven't installed it yet as someone told me I wouldn't be able to connect my laptop to the internet through my router anymore as that is setup  to my main desktop computer which has XP.  They said all the computers have to be vista for it to work.  Is this true?

Thanks for any replies,

Debby.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Vista upgrade.. Is this true?
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:28:29 PM »
    No, not neccessarily. The Vista machine should be able to connect just fine.
    Is the laptop wireless connecting thru a wired connection ? ?

The OS does not matter if the connection is working.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

debby_s

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »
      That's good to hear :)  I searched about it online and couldn't find anything that said so but I did read of people not able to connect once they had upgraded although I think it was more to do with settings than anything. After looking online,  i'm a bit nervous about putting it on..   Am I right in believing once you have vista you cant change back?  Also, can i put all my files in my D drive and only put vista on C?  Sorry for the amount of questions!
      in answer to yours, yes the laptop is wireless connecting through a router.

Thankyou for replying,

Debby.

our4brats04

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 08:50:01 AM »
      i have three computers running and two run vista and 1 runs xp and the are all hooked into the same router

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 08:50:45 AM »
      The problem Vista users are having as far as being able to connect is that some ISP's providing DSL service do not have updated drivers for their cheapo modems. Since you already have a connection you should be fine.

Am I right in believing once you have vista you cant change back? 

No. Any OS can be changed provided you do a full format and have the proper installation CD for the OS you want to revert to ( i'm assuming XP here.)

Also, can i put all my files in my D drive and only put vista on C?

Sure. But be more specific about which files.

Sorry for the amount of questions!

No problem at all...

debby_s

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »
        Thanks so much for all the help :)

When I asked can i put my files into D and put vista onto C I was refering to things like photo's/ Music etc...  is it safe to do that?   Also, the laptop came with Xp installed but no xp disk.. Is there a way I can burn the xp I have on the laptop to disk before upgrading and use it with the product key from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop if i wanted to go back to xp? Save buying a new one.  If that makes sense :)

Thanks,

Debby.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 09:28:40 AM »
        Just copying your current XP install will not do...it won't run.
        What you need is an imaging program such as Ghost or Acronis True Image to create an image of the XP install and then burn that to CD/DVD.

The problem with this though is you cannot create an image on the same drive you are imaging so it's not a good solution for a laptop.

The other option would be to contact the manuf. and give them your model # and ask for directions on how to create a Restore CD from the hidden partition.

Or they may send you a full restore CD for a small fee.