Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems booting from MacOS X 10.4 DVD  (Read 8710 times)

banjo67xxx

Problems booting from MacOS X 10.4 DVD
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:42:21 AM »
I'm trying to upgrade my iMac G4 from Mac OS X 10.2.8 to 10.4 but it refuses to boot from the DVD.

A friend gave me the ISO file with the DVD image, which I burned to DVD and put in the drive. The instructions on the "How to" file from the DVD say to set the DVD as the startup disk, and so I did so.

Unfortunately, every time I reboot the system, it just restarts the existing 10.2.8.

Any ideas?

Could it be a corrupt ISO? or maybe its am Intel ISO instead of the PPC version, how do I check?

banjo67xxx

Re: Problems booting from MacOS X 10.4 DVD
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:46:21 AM »
I've found this link which says how to make a DVD bootable on MacOS
http://creativebits.org/mac_os_x/make_a_dvd_copy_of_mac_os_x_tiger

But the problem is that my iMac only has a DVDcombo, and my DVD burner is on an x86 system.

Does anyone know how to burn a Mac bootable DVD on linux/Windoze?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 11:46:01 PM »
When you have your upgrade/OS CD in the computer, turn the computer off, then press and hold the C key
if that doesent work
Turn it on, and just before you see that stupid smiley face thing, press and hold the C key

banjo67xxx

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »
Tried that. It didn't work :(

I've managed to borrow a USB DVD burner to plug into the iMac, now for the next problem ...

When I start the "Disk Utility" application on Mac OS X 10.2 and try to find the "Burn" option on the application toolbar, its not there!

Where do I find it?