Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I think im infected  (Read 10421 times)

oddjob

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: I think im infected
    « Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »
    As soybean indicates there is nothing wrong with iexplore.exe. BC's startup programs database simply indicates programs that (as BC remarks) "... should not appear in Msconfig/Startup unless you add [them] manually!". They are not necessarily bad.

As unlovedwarrior mentions that file is dubious. Again, not necessarily causing the trouble you have but please go to this site ....

http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html

Browse to this file on your system ...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

...and upload it to Virustotal for checking.

Post back the results here.

You said the bad file was spelt "Iexploere.exe" which indicates you have an infection as this is not the correct spelling of the legit file. You must be careful to post the correct spelling when reporting errors.

The log does not show any dreadful infections although this may be because you are starting the computer in selective startup mode. This means some running processes may not be visible. Please go to your msconfig and ensure all items are enabled at startup. This will give a clearer picture of what's occurring on your computer.

Couple of things about the log entries.

Trusted zone
    You have two entries in this zone. It's your choice but my advice is never to have anything in permanently  that zone. It's just too dangerous.

If you want to remove them then open HJT again ... click on scan ... put tick/check marks next to all 015 entries ... close ALL open browser windows (including this one) ... click "Fix Checked" at the foot of the HJT window.

The entries will the  be gone.

Java

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

• Download the latest version of  Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.
    • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications"…..

• Click the "Download" button to the right.
    • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
    • The page will refresh.
    • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
    • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
    • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
    • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
    • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
    • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
    Reboot your computer to normal mode and use it as you usually do.

If this doesn't fix things post a fresh HJT log in full startup mode and give us an update on what's still not right.

OJ
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:42:34 AM by oddjob »

Medman

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:42:45 PM »
    thank you for the great response guys, looks like ive got some work to do. Ill post back when i've tried some of those things.

Medman

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 12:45:16 PM »
    oh and patio-  no, i dont need both Norton and AVG. In fact, i didnt know Norton was still running. I thought i took it off but aparantly it's not that easy.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
      DLoad  the tool below...

Norton Removal Tool

Do not run it yet.

1) DLoad and install ERUNT and have it make a backup of your registry...
      2) Use Add Remove Programs first and un-install Norton...
      3) From Windows Explorer search for any folders named Norton and Symantec and delete them...
      4) Open regedit and type Norton in the search bar. Delete all entries it finds. F3 takes you to the next  instance of Norton. Continue til you have reached the end of the registry...
      5) Repeat the above process using Symantec instead in the search field. Delete any Symantec keys it finds...
      6) Now run the Norton Removal tool you DLoaded...
      7) Empty the recycle bin...
      8) Go to My Computer and right clik the C: drive and select Properties and run disk cleanup...
      9) Re-boot and run disk defrag....

There you're done !

patio.   
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 07:44:15 AM »
        For anyone who may be interested this is another good source of information on startup programs ...

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

OJ

Medman

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »
        i ran the bootup with all files allowed to ron from msconfig. should i run it like that all the time? cuz theres certain programs like quiktime and stuff that i would rather not have at startup. Anyway, here is the HJT after that and all of the other suggestions

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
        Scan saved at 9:34:47 AM, on 4/4/2007
        Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
        MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)

Running processes:
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
        C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
        C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 2\VAIOUpdt.exe
        C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
        C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
        C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
        C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
        C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE
        C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
        C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
        C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\WMPlugIn\SonicStageMonitoring.exe
        C:\Program Files\Sony\Sony TV Tuner Library\SMceMan.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
        C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe
        C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
        C:\Program Files\Sony\Sony TV Tuner Library\RM_SV.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
        C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
        C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Bacteria\Protections\medmanHijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://crossfit.com/
        R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
        R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
        R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
        R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
        R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe //ICWLaunch
        R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
        R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
        O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
        O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
        O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
        O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
        O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
        O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Update 2] "C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 2\VAIOUpdt.exe" /Stationary
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Recovery] C:\WINDOWS\Sonysys\VAIO Recovery\PartSeal.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvd43] C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1138591397\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.908.5008\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_0_9
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0c\AOL.EXE" -b
        O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
        O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
        O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
        O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
        O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
        O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
        O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\npjpi160_01.dll
        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\npjpi160_01.dll
        O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
        O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
        O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
        O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
        O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
        O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
        O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
        O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
        O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
        O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
        O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
        O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
        O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
        O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
        O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
        O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
        O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
        O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
        O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
        O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
        O23 - Service: SonicStageMonitoring - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\WMPlugIn\SonicStageMonitoring.exe
        O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Controller - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Sony TV Tuner Library\halsv.exe
        O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Manager - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Sony TV Tuner Library\RM_SV.exe
        O23 - Service: Sony TVTA Manager - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Sony TV Tuner Library\SMceMan.exe
        O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
        I'm not an experienced HijackThis analyzer but, while looking at some of your log, this item seems to be a suspicious one: yt.dll

Medman

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 09:48:50 AM »
        virustotal came up with no threats on dllhost.exe

heres the link to it, i tried to post a pic but it didnt go thru..whatever:

http://www.virustotal.com/vt/en/resultadof?44ceb017762f293cc4bc301d1c7dab47

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 10:12:28 AM »
        As to the startup items you can DLoad a great little app from Mike Lin called Startup CPL which resides in the Control Panel...

Gives you full control on what loads up and what doesn't.

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 10:49:56 AM »
          Log is much improved.

That yt.dll is OK. It's part of the Yahoo! Companion and I see that the dllhost.exe file came up clean at Virustotal.

Just one thing in the log. Open HJT and fix this one ...

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

Now run a system search and find the file(s) ...  ALCMTR.EXE. Delete it/them.

Empty your recycle bin.

Make sure your java, antivirus, firewall and other protection programs stay fully up to date.

How is you computer operating now? Can Adaware now full scan?

Note that there is currently an issue with Adaware. It won't always update properly. If you experience this problem just bear with it and keep trying the update. Also keep looking at comments on the Lavasoft site & forums on that. They are hoping to clear it up soon.

OJ

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:36:07 AM by oddjob »

Medman

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 09:10:26 AM »
          well the messages about fat32 and such have left, norton is officiall gone, and my java software has now been updated.  Things seem to be going a bit better, however Adaware SE still isnt running properly but ill check in with their website about those problems. Also, internet has been running waaayyyy slow after all of this.  I use Opera mostly but have Firefox as well and they both are slowing down.
          I dunno if theres any suggestions about that, but either way, thank you all for the huge help with this.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 09:49:09 AM »
          This can also relate to your internet connection...what type of service do you have ? ?

Medman

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2007, 09:24:11 AM »
          Ive got comcast cable. THe problem seems to come and go. I thought it might have a little to do with the fact that i just cleared ALL of my cache, but i didnt think it would effect it this much. SOmetimes my Opera browser even "encounters an error" and must close. Firefox has never done that yet. Today, however, seems to be running fine right now (im on Opera).

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
            « Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 09:37:52 AM »
            it could just be your provider is having problems or the stregnthen of the connection is getting weaker because you might be using it during the peak hours ... when does this happen?