Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Neon updates + ISP Soft Data Caps = Nonfunctional Internet?  (Read 37516 times)

StarBaseONE2

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
Linux Neon updates + ISP Soft Data Caps = Nonfunctional Internet?

Hello Compuer Hope!
It has been some few years since I have needed to see you guys. But I do now, so I am very happy to see the place still in good repair!
Let me describe my current situation...

I'm the only user on this Dell Inspiron 660 Tower 4xIntel i5 @ 3 GHz, 8 GB RAM I have it running KDE Neon 5.27. My ISP is AT&T I use a MIFI Hotspot to access the service. I'm near or at extreme range for the modem but I do get at least one bar of signal at all times. Several years back (when the modem was still shiny & new) I fashioned a reflector 'dish' out of a wok and I measured out & placed a mount for the modem at the focal point. Aiming it out a window in an unused bedroom, I was able to raise my signal and data through put considerably. Using it, my signal goes from 0-1 bars to 2-4 bars (usually 3 bars) it tends to bounce a bit seemingly dependent upon unknown ISP factors, fellow surfer traffic, Time of year (must be foliage?), the current weather conditions, and typical localized near spectrum noise generated from sources inside my own home. There is a very noticeable speed difference on my data through put between these two 'relative signal meter's' bar measurements. One bar works slow but reliably and is faster than old dial up; but for me to enjoy the service I need 3 bars. Where my location is geographically, terrain dictates that I use AT&T. They are literally the only game in town, Verizon signal is present too but is at too attenuated for visitors to use their phones, so it is safe to say it is at levels too low to do me much good (due to terrain at this spot, even Hughes & Viasat has no usable line of sight). 

I am on a home data plan with AT&T that has me having 20 GB of data before they start to throttle my speed at peak usage time, but they throttle it again across the whole clock somewhere near 35 GB, and at this point my service quickly (due to protocol error corrections?) will for all practical purposes become nonfunctional. When this occurs old AOL's dial up would be much faster surfing! This used to happen very infrequently (usually only when grand kids were visiting and doing there games on line) But now it is happening every month. Trying to trace this down I have discovered that when KDE Neon requests update attention The list of updates is always filled with many line entries starting with "Refresh of <installed_app_name>", apparently this leads to a re-downloading of said app completed by a re-installation! Is this redundancy an official part of the KDE Neon's updating process? If so, why? These apps were working just fine before a re-installation! Could this 'refresh of <installed_app_name>' cumulative data weights cause my ISP to throttle me down so slowly that then errors that are reported back by error checking protocols present in TCP/IP lead to finishing my service off, due to my machines response to the flood of error correction resend requests? Does this sound plausible to the experts here? If so, this practice, malware, or misconfiguration is keeping me from running Neon as a currently up to date OS. My data consumed has been equal to, or greater than 80 GB for the past 3 consecutive months! I put this OS on this tower aprx 5 months ago. But I started to prepare it for use in learning a bit about Android App creation and installed Android's official SDK (from the official source) a few weeks later... As you can see I am grasping at little limbs here like drowning man trying to save himself in a wet weather creek while flash flood is running. But I am tired of how effective whatever this is, can make my service become non-surf-functional. And every time this occurs I have the rest of my month to enjoy this 'faster than thought' new surfing speed.

I have gone through the system settings over and over thinking I am missing something that is simply configured badly. But I've not found anything amiss! I really need to tame this data hungry beast while I still have my few remaining head hairs left! So I have finally laid my stubbornness aside, at least long enough to seek some help from the wisdom only available when one consults with the community of the technical savvy. Can anyone assist me in figuring out the best way to go about determining what's behind these >3.5 GB (average) updates each and every time I go to update my OS? What is up with Neon's constant need to see so many apps refreshed by re-download and re-installation at every update time? As I stated earlier nothing was apparently wrong with their installation before being refreshed... So why does Neon require such? I need help so I might can recover from being called baldy by the wife here.

StarBaseONE2
Progress has brought forth a new Information Age! With milestones come drastic changes! First, was to martyr Privacy! Security escaped, but is healing from emergency surgery! We watch his rehabilitation, knowing his complete recovery isn't likely. He's too thin! No wonder he refuses to look you in the eye, when giving customary assurances! He seems to miss the "Good Times" from back in the '70's...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Linux Neon updates + ISP Soft Data Caps = Nonfunctional Internet?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 08:41:56 PM »
Let me try to provide a helpful response. Now it has been some time since I got into Linux. In my humble opinion your choice of a Linux is Not so good. Few people are using it. Here on this forum the most popular versions are either Ubuntu or Mint Linux.  Both of them are good.  :D

As for the internet, everybody has trouble.   :'(