Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unknown Device  (Read 3476 times)

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Unknown Device
    « on: April 02, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »
    After installing Win98SE I get a request for drivers for unknown devices, this appears also when I go in Device Manager, I See two question marks for two items that when properties are looked at give me no informatin as to what these devices are, and I can't remove them, they just come back the next time I boot up.
    I would like to remove them from the device manager for good or find some way of providing drivers.
    Can anyone help?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Unknown Device
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:13:11 PM »
    Exactly what name has Windows given them in Device Manager?  Have you noticed any part of your system, or any devices attached to it, not working or working right?

What you see clearly indicates you need drivers for something.  The problem now is to figure out what.

After you installed Win 98SE, did you install certain drivers?  Which ones?

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 10:05:49 PM »
    What display adapter, i.e. video card, is in it now?  Or, does the computer use onboard video (meaning no add-on video card; the display adapter is integrated into the motherboard)?  If you now have an add-on video card, did the computer originally use onboard video?

Does this nVidia item (an "unknown" item) appear under Display adapter in Device Manager?  And, does another, valid, display adapter appear there, also?

I do not think clearing CMOS will change this? 

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 08:06:33 PM »
    Make and model of that computer?

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:09:37 PM »
    Is your ATI card an AGP card or PCI?  Was the old nVidia card AGP or PCI?  Here's what I'm getting at.  Do you have two video cards in that computer, one PCI and one AGP?

Did you personally remove the nVidia card?  Did you personally install the ATI card?  I'm talking about hardware here, not software or drivers.
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:48:03 AM by soybean »

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 08:58:54 AM »
    I think some registry cleaning might worth a try here.  First, go into Device Manager and delete the unwanted Display adapter.  Then, download CCleaner, install, and run it.  Run the Windows scan; I suggest you delete everything it finds but take a close look at the list of things this scan covers before running the scan and de-select any you want to exclude.  Run the Issues scan; when prompted to backup the registry before proceeding, do so.  Then, tell CCleaner to remove everything if found in the Issues scan.  Re-run the Issues scan; sometimes, a repeat of this scan finds additional items. You do not need to backup your registry again if that second scan finds more items.

Now, restart your computer and see whether the old Display adapter reappears. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 08:52:41 PM »
    I'm starting to believe there is a glitch in the Unknown Device ID program itself...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:58:41 PM »
    Well, Brandy, I don't want to belabor this discussion much further.  Perhaps someone else has some thoughts on this.  But, you might consider just leaving it as is if the computer runs fine. 

You could also do this.  Right click on that nVidia display adapter in Control Panel, select Properties and see whether you have an option to check a box at the bottom of the General tab for "Disable in this hardware profile".  If that option is there, check the box and click OK.  This should change the yellow triangle to a red X.  If so, then leave it that way and move on.

I also doubt that formatting your hard drive and installing Windows again will resolve the issue.

Edit: Note: did not see patio's post before posting this.
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:18:56 PM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 09:51:28 PM »
    A Link on removing stubborn NVidia devices...

I suggest a proper backup of the registry before continuing.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:10:56 PM »
    Re-install your MBoard drivers...even though you are no longer using onboard video and have an add on card it is asking for them.