Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AHH HELP!  (Read 2078 times)

hello123

AHH HELP!
« on: April 05, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »
hey! okay, here's the deal. my computer has been running REALLY REALLY low on memory, so it told me to delete some stuff i dont use. somehow i think i deleted the software for microsoft word..what i use to write and view documents!!!! so now i cant read any documents or create any new ones!!! and i dont know what to reinstall or even specifically what i had. i am so scared because this is my brother's computer and he has a ton of important documents on here...anyways whenever i click on one, it says: "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create an associateion in the folder options control panel." (if you havent noticed yet, i am incredibly clueless when it comes to computers, so id appreciate patience haha! thanks  :))

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: AHH HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:36:14 PM »
Is Word still on your Programs menu?  Will it still open/start?

Word is normally installed as part of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and it's not free.  In fact, the full version of Office 2003 Standard Edition retails for about $400. 

All the documents may still be on the hard drive.  Do you know how to view files with Windows Explorer?  Can you search on *.doc?

hello123

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »
no, word is no where to be found (in the programs menu or anything) so it won't open or start.

i cant view the files on windows explorer--says the same thing. and, sorry, what's *.doc? i know, im stupid when it comes to understanding computers. thanks for your help, sorry im such a pain.

am i gonna have to buy that $400 thing?? AHHH!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »
I must say, you really need to learn some things about managing folders and files on a computer, about uninstalling software, and about freeing up disk space before you go removing such things.  With your level, or lack, of knowledge, you should have sought help when you saw that "low on memory" message rather than attempt to resolve it yourself.  End of sermon.   >:(

Uinstalling Word would not delete the files created with it, unless you also deleted them in a separate action.  When a new file is saved in Word, the file saved under the name assigned to it, with the "extension", doc, attached to it.  For example, if I saved a file called mine, it would be saved on the hard drive as mine.doc.  For more info, see http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=DOC.  And, for more on File Extension in general, go to http://filext.com/

Again: Do you know how to view files with Windows Explorer?  Can you search on *.doc?  Do you know how to do searches in Windows?  Hint: right click on the Start button.  You might first just look in My Documents.  See anything there?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 06:09:18 PM »
And even if Word has been removed double clicking .doc files should have them open with Wordpad...

If not it can be found under Start / Programs / Accessories.
It comes with Windows.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "