Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer History/Museum  (Read 19955 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Computer History/Museum
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
Here is an interactive Computer History website. Its very neat, and has pictures ::)
It is very educational
http://www.computerhistory.org/

(Of course, CH has a computer history document as well.)
http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?s=history

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
Re: Computer History/Museum
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:22:11 PM »
The Computerhistory.org is a great history site, lots of great images and admittedly a lot better than the Computer Hope history section in many aspects. However, still a work in progress and thanks for the mention. I'd like to have more pictures in the Computer Hope history section but many pictures are copyrighted or contains rights that have to be purchased in order to be shown.  :-\

The main history page is at:
http://www.computerhope.com/history/

But the search works too. :)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:33:40 PM »
Wikipedia has images that are copyrighted, somehow through the GNU.... maybe checking into something like that would be a good idea

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »
Wikipedia has images that are copyrighted, somehow through the GNU.... maybe checking into something like that would be a good idea
Yeah something that I could look into. I have been able to find some public-domain images, such as those provided by governments. But that's the most I've been able to locate, if the images are not public-domain or don't mention they can be used I stay away from them.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 10:46:35 PM »
Yeah something that I could look into. I have been able to find some public-domain images, such as those provided by governments. But that's the most I've been able to locate, if the images are not public-domain or don't mention they can be used I stay away from them.

if you happen to need pictures of old hardware, i have plenty of old hardware to photograph.. i even have an old quantum Bigfoot. they, are quite rare, as they all kicked it and got canned, i also have a WORKING NEC CD rom drive from 95, 2x drive

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:49:37 PM »
if you happen to need pictures of old hardware, i have plenty of old hardware to photograph.. i even have an old quantum Bigfoot. they, are quite rare, as they all kicked it and got canned, i also have a WORKING NEC CD rom drive from 95, 2x drive
Thanks for the offer, and maybe that's something I can do is get pictures from forum members. ;)
-Albert Einstein

Dead_reckon

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:57:18 PM »
Thanks for the offer, and maybe that's something I can do is get pictures from forum members. ;)

i'd have to get a good cam though.. my dads cam sucks, and he complains when he doesnt have it when he needs it.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:11:20 PM »
i'd have to get a good cam though.. my dads cam sucks, and he complains when he doesnt have it when he needs it.
No need to worry about it now. Thanks for the offer, maybe something we can do in the future. :)
-Albert Einstein

Dead_reckon

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »
No need to worry about it now. Thanks for the offer, maybe something we can do in the future. :)

i intend to get a new camera anyway, i like to dabble a bit in photography, and, while my dads 3.1mp kodak easyshare cam is ok..  i'd rather have my own to use, and, though this one i have my eye on is quite expensive, probably 2 pay checks or more when i get my job.. its worth it..

this is the camera im gonna try to get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830241027

im going to buy this SD card with it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141030

and some random carrying case for it and whatnot.

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:53:47 PM »
Heh, I still have that 4MHz IBM... now that is history!
Also a Palmtop (Man, those things are neat)
Windows 3.0 disks
Boot Floppy
Leading Edge Laptop (With ducttape, so its not much of a display)

You could check some websites and see if they are willing to give you a special license to display their images (Just keep track of the licenses, and also offer to link back to their site, that will usually bribe  a webmaster enough, lol)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 02:51:13 AM »
My grandfather has this really old type writer, really fun using it lol.

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 11:33:14 AM »
We have a typewritter that is probably from the early 1900's, but it doesent work very well anymore. (I had to revert back to the electric typewritter... which really isnt very electric...)