Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moved folder -lost data -recovery attempts fail  (Read 2543 times)

MsMass

Moved folder -lost data -recovery attempts fail
« on: April 08, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »
Contents:
Summary
Complete description
Computer specifications

Summary:
I moved a folder from D: to an external drive N:. I see that the moved folder is now "(empty)." The "Unmove" option is not available. FileScavenger 3.1 doesn't even find the original folder from D:. Windows is installed on C:. I have not made any changes to D: after the folder was moved.

Complete description:
I have two internal hard drives and one external. Windows and other program files are on C:. Relatively unimportant files and documents are stored on separate partitions from the system (Windows). Back-ups are copied to the external drive N:, O:. I had intended to copy only, but made a mistake by choosing the "Move" option.

I proceeded to back up data from D: to the external hard drive N:. While examining the moved folders and files, I find that one of the folders is now empty. I checked folder options to make sure hidden files could be seen. I also examined "properties" for file size and number, finding "0 files" and "0 folders." It was reader software for ebooks from years ago. But I don't remember what it was. I suppose I could look for and buy a new version of some sort.

When I discovered this, I made sure not to do anything further to that hard drive.

I installed File Scavenger 3.1 and did a "long" scan. It found just about everything except that one folder. I tried a few other freeware file recovery programs with same results.

I have noticed on occasion that Windows will finish moving/copying files, but sometimes the folders are without the files. It's rare but has happened in the past. I've noticed this using Win98SE on two previous PCs and XPPro on this one. If I copy/move files individually, the results are better. It seems to happen most frequently when I move folders; sometimes files just aren't moved/copied at all, and without notices or error messages. I also click "refresh" to update, but to no avail. I feel like I have to hold Windows' hand when doing something so simple as copying a file.

Usually, after copying/moving a folder, I'll right click to examine properties and compare the size and number of files & folders. So once in a long while I'll find that not all of the files actually copied. I adapted as explained above.

Is there a way to recover the lost folder?

Computer specs:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Gateway GP7-500
Intel Pentium III processer
497 MHz, 256 MB of RAM

Disk drives:
hd1 (internal) with 4 partitions (C:, D:, E:, F:)
Western Digital EIDE 80GB WD Caviar SE

hd2 (internal) with 7 partitions (G:, H:, I:, J:, K:, L:, M:)
Maxtor ATA/EIDE 120GB DiamondMax

hd3 (external) with 2 partitions (N:, O:)
Western Digital 250GB MyBook USB 2.0

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Moved folder -lost data -recovery attempts fail
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:27:01 AM »
    Have you tried a system restore to a prior date?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

BraZillion

Re: Moved folder -lost data -recovery attempts fail
    « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:11:55 PM »
    I will reread at home and try to help out butttt   

ALLWAYS KEEP BACK UPS!!!