Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question on reformating  (Read 13829 times)

Nooblet

Question on reformating
« on: April 15, 2007, 08:11:26 PM »
Hello everyone im new here, I have a few questions,I always wanted to reformat my 2 computers but not quite sure how to, I have a Windows XP and Windows ME 2000, I read that I need to have my ''windows cd'' I think I have them they are MDG Windows Xp Home/SP1 and Windows ME 2000.

Now all I want to do on theese computers is to play games and have my internet, I was wondering if I needed to re-install my internet or is it on the cds alerady? Also to reformat all I need to do in msdos is to type Format c:  to reformat all my computer correct?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Question on reformating
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 08:20:58 PM »
There's no such OS as Windows ME 2000. 

Why, exactly, do you want to reformat your hard drives?  MDG is a brand, right?

Nooblet

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 08:32:16 PM »
I want to reformat becus there to slow I have alot of junk on them that I do not want anymore :)

Nooblet

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 08:33:42 PM »
Yes MDG is a brand

Nooblet

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 08:38:27 PM »
Another question, if I just put in my windows cd in and setup without deleting anything befor that is that ok? or am I messing up my comp? I just did this its installing 10% if im doing sumthing wrong pls tell me :)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 08:46:46 PM »
Another question, if I just put in my windows cd in and setup without deleting anything befor that is that ok? or am I messing up my comp? I just did this its installing 10% if im doing sumthing wrong pls tell me :)
LOL.  Well, that question should have been asked BEFORE starting procedure.  ::) If it was the wrong thing to do, it would be too late now to reverse it.  Fortunately, you're on the right track.  Let it finish.  Then, let us know if you're having problems. 

Nooblet

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »
lol okie :] its at 67% now... I hope nothings is going to happen... all I want is to have it working like when I first bought it ...hopefuly

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 09:16:55 PM »
Well, I gather that CD you're using is the Restore CD that came with that computer.  So, you should accompish exactly what you want.  When the restore is completed, look in Device Manager for any exclamation marks inside yellow triangles; that indicates a problem. 

Nooblet

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:22:22 PM »
wow... well I just finished and I cant move my mouse now.. and my comp is slow as *censored* for some reason.... and I still have my old icons there so im guessing it dint do anything.... *censored*!

Nooblet

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 09:24:23 PM »
I dont know if the Cd was a recovery disk or whatever all I know is thats all they gave me and it says Windows ME 2000

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 09:27:03 PM »
It sounds like you just reinstalled Windows over the old installation and did not format your hard drive.  Put the CD in the CD-Drive again and restart your computer; in other words, boot from the CD.  What exactly do you see on screen?  What are your options?  I believe you by-passed the formatting step during your first attempt.

Nooblet

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
ok... I restarted my computer and its back to normal but it dint do anything.... I still have everything I had befor it dint delete anything all it did is give me new files to install internet and *censored*... help

soybean

Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »
I dont know if the Cd was a recovery disk or whatever all I know is thats all they gave me and it says Windows ME 2000
Come on, now.  This is quite elementary.  How long have you been using Windows?  And, you don't know the different versions?

Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 98SE (second edition)
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Media Center Edition
Windows Vista

Again, no such OS as Windows ME 2000

soybean

Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 09:32:59 PM »
ok... I restarted my computer and its back to normal but it dint do anything.... I still have everything I had befor it dint delete anything all it did is give me new files to install internet and sh*t... help
See Reply #10

Nooblet

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »
Sorry im new to this I dont know very much about computers, this is what it says on the CD - Microsoft Windows ME (Mellennium Edition)

edit: it was in the wrong cd driver lol let me try again