Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need help making a simple program  (Read 3995 times)

daveys93

need help making a simple program
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:06:39 AM »
I am trying to make a small program (.exe would be great) to close a program.  My goal is to create a way to close a program called vkt.exe by running this program.  The reason I need this is because the only way to close the program is to right click it in the system tray, however for my application I have access to the entire windows desktop closed off. 

The program that I am starting vkt.exe through only has the ability to start a external program but no way to stop one.  Therefore I need a way to close vkt.exe through starting another program (this programs only purpose is to close vkt.exe and then close itself).

Any help anyone can give me would be most useful.

tr3wth

Re: need help making a simple program
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:18:23 AM »
you could make a batch file to close the program a .bat i dont know if this would work for your situation though could you run a .bat file also if you press alt+tab you should return to the desktop or if you press windows key+M then you could access the system tray it would be helpfull to know what operating system you are using.

daveys93

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:40:20 AM »
I am using windows NT 4.0 on this computer.  the main program is designed so that you cannot access the windows desktop at all for security reasons.  What I am trying to do is add a button to this program to bring up an onscreen keyboard program (vkt.exe) when clicked.  However the main program can only open external programs and not close them, and vkt.exe doesnt have an "x" button, thus the only way to close it is via the system tray, but I don't have access to that.

What I was hoping to do is find a way to make a simple little program run through the DOS prompt that will end vkt.exe and then end itself.  That way I can toggle this button I want to add to open vkt.exe when pressed down (value=1) and when you click it again or depress it (value=0) it will run the program to end vkt.exe.

Thank you,
Daveys93

tr3wth

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 09:52:06 AM »
I'm sorry but my programing experience is VERY limited and i don't think I can help