Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to load into windows xp after ghost backup...  (Read 3295 times)

chloess

unable to load into windows xp after ghost backup...
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:48:28 PM »
My computer is only 2 weeks old, C drive is mainly for the system file while D drive is for my documents.

I've installed some new software on C drive, so I decided to run a ghost backup copy for my computer.

The ghost has to run through Dos Mode. so after it has been done, I re-start my computer as usual.  After the computer finish loading the window XP logo... the screen was not going anywhere ( usually it should load into the blue windows screen), all i can see was a black screen with nothing on it.

I tried log into safe mode or last good config since I only installed google toolbar and MSN Live in there. shouldnt be anything major or error.  but the same siutation happen, black screen, and unable to go into those 2 modes as well.

Any way I could get into windows without re-installing the whole xp again? many thanks.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: unable to load into windows xp after ghost backup...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:27:53 AM »
What antivirus protection do you have installed, updated, and running?

Try going into System Restore, and going back a few days before the installation of MSN toolbar.
(Instead of just the last known good configuration)

contrex

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:20:38 AM »
Person says can't start Windows, so System Restore is not possible I think.

chloess, you started in DOS mode how? From a floppy? a CD? a pen drive? What did you do to make it start in DOS?

When you made a Ghost image, do you mean you made an image of your C drive? Where was the image written to? Was it the D drive? Did it complete OK? Was it a .gho image file?

chloess

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 02:57:08 AM »
Hi,

thank you for your reply in the first plae.

I actually dont know much about my computer. the PC guy told me he installed a Ghost program for me. which when I start the computer in the Dos mode. I could choose to start my windows XP or run the ghost program. So when I need to backup a copy i just re-start my computer, go to the ghost program and choose to backup or restore.

I just start my computer as usual and choose to run windows xp.. then I can see the Xp logo ... then next sec the screen go black.  maybe I could describe it as the system hanged when it is loading into the windows. I have no problem to start the machine and start to run the windows ( at least i can see the xp logo)

I am not sure where the image file goes to since he never explain to me how it works but he told me that is for creating the image for my C which is my system drive. Can i search the system to find it out .. ( if i can log onto it later?)

contrex

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 03:12:05 AM »
How did you choose to start in the DOS mode? Do you have to press a key, insert a disk?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 08:24:32 AM »
    "...the PC guy told me he installed a Ghost program for me."

Personally, I'd take it back to the "tech" who installed the Ghost program for you and have him show you how to get it to work.  Did he leave you any documentation or software with this "Ghost" program?  If not I'd surely ask for it.

Alan <><
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

chloess

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 11:47:24 PM »
    When the computer start it will give me options to load into windows or Ghost.. and I will choose ghost from there if i want to restore or create a backup.

The guy who installed the system for me didnt give me and disk or information at all. i believe it is Symantic Ghost 8.0 Chinese version. but i am not 100% sure.  and he shown me once how to create and restore a backup and suggested me to run it regularlly. no document at all... and sadly i am unable to get hold of him. should I just uninstall the whole thing? cos it really confuse me.. and seems like i am messing up my system 

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 04:28:54 AM »
    If it's not working for you I would say lose it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »
    And unless you live in China this would also be a valid reason for dumping it altogether...

I highly recommend Acronis True Image for good solid backups.

Current best deal on it is thru newegg...(Kudos to GX1_Man )
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

contrex

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »
    And unless you live in China this would also be a valid reason for dumping it altogether...

I highly recommend Acronis True Image for good solid backups.

Current best deal on it is thru newegg...(Kudos to GX1_Man )

I have been using Norton Ghost for years. It's a very good program, it does exactly what I want it to. It is not for the beginner perhaps.