Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000 error...  (Read 7474 times)

AJ23

Windows 2000 error...
« on: April 25, 2007, 12:55:25 PM »
I'm trying to load out Windows 2000 but cannot because this keeps coming up. Error Message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Winnt\System32\Config\System. I have went on Microsoft's site to find help but haven't really found anything that helps me resolve the issue. I changed the boot order to start from CD rom...(nothing)...I also created boot disks and tried to load 2000 that way...(new error message on disk 2: \halaacpi.dll error code is 7)...came up...can someone help...???? Thanks...

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Windows 2000 error...
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:02:16 PM »
    when did this happen what upgrades did you preform? hardware software? what was the last thing you did before this happened??

unlovedwarrior

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

AJ23

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:32:38 PM »
      I don't know of any upgrades hw/sw. Prior to this problem. Not any time recent anyway. The pc use to be someone who is no longer w/us. So it hadn't been used for a while so I go in there to turn it on and this started...don't really know what else...can certain updates cause this...or possible registry corruption???

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:48:47 PM »
        try what alan suggested if that doesnt work come back

AJ23

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »
        I did try what alan suggested...I downloaded the chkreg from microsoft...I ran it and it prompted me that I would need the XP Boot disks...so I did this as well...as I was running it again it prompted for the 6th XP boot disk here and that it would configure it for 2000 to boot...however thats not the case it is/was trying to load and asking for XP OS disk and that is not what I'm trying to reload...its 2000...do you have any other suggestions or explanations...thanks...

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 08:34:38 AM »
          ummm reformat and reinstall

AJ23

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:57:27 AM »
          How can I get it to reformat??? I would but I don't know how to get past this message...Error Message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Winnt\System32\Config\System. Thats like my whole dilemma. Doesn't do anything more than boot to this message...no safe mode no last known...no nothing...can you explain how to reformat??? Thanks for your time and replies...also...

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 09:03:05 AM »