Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does this look right, Help ?  (Read 35348 times)

Jp

Re: Does this look right, Help ?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »
I started up the AVG scan and I now have 456 infected files, back from 5.

What to do, why can't I use systems restore ?

Jp

Raptor

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »
Jp, this is hopeless.

Unless you're running it as an experiment, I'd do a complete reformat and take precautions against problems such as these next time.

Are you running it as an experiment?

Jp

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 11:01:35 AM »
Raptor,

Not exactly, I would like to defeat this,

most are
A0011064.exe   Trojan horse Generic. DLY   C:\systemvolume information\_restore

(8238BFe6.....etc.

I am not sure about a reformat, I never did that, I guess I should get ready, . .
suggestions ?

Jp

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    « Reply #33 on: May 03, 2007, 11:23:14 AM »
    I don't have manny experiance with computers but I do have had much different virus scans.
    And I sudjest Windows OneCare Live.
    You can try it for free for 90days.
    Did you allready tried onecare for those infections I don't think this will all thurn ok but you can try the onlything you can lose is 20min.
    And have you tried to go into safemode with the help of MSCONFIG.
    I don't think its going to make much difference but I not shure I've nefer had the problem that I couldn't go into safemode.

Jonas

Jp

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 11:26:51 AM »
    Ok,

I think you probably no what your talking about, I went to MS help and found it confusing >reformat, ?

Can you tell me, what is the easyiest way to do that, I dont have a disc, the computer came with WXP installed, if i could as you say reformat then I can set up the SP2 Install, . .  

What test did dl65 refer to for the install disc?

I am going to restart for now and try to go into safe mode again.

sudjest Windows OneCare Live.

I'll try it ! What say Raptor ?

Jp

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »
      Quote from: Jonas Wauters link=topic=34727.msg213737#msg213737 date=
      And have you tried to go into safemode with the help of MSCONFIG.
      I don't think its going to make much difference but I not shure I've nefer had the problem that I couldn't go into safemode.

Just sow you know I've changed it

Jp

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2007, 11:41:29 AM »
      Is there a special way to go into safe mode from msconfig,
      I just restarted and after healing 460 infections I could not get into safe mode and if I were to scan again I would probably have those 460 Trojan horse infect. back.

Is it possible ???

When I first started AVG, I did get a warning that I had a ROXY CD & DVD creator that should be updated, so not to interfere, but I went to there site and was not able to update it, I didn't know I had one.

Would this have anything to do with re-infection after healing etc. ??

Jp
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:03:13 PM by Jp »

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2007, 12:03:13 PM »
        If you type "msconfig" in run then you go to boot.ini then you mark safe boot.
        I sudjest that you try minimal first if that doesn't work you can try to boot with basic divices. (Diaganosic startup)

Jp

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
        Is it possible

When I first started AVG, I did get a warning that I had a ROXY CD & DVD creator that should be updated, so not to interfere, but I went to there site and was not able to update it, I didn't know I had one.

Would this have anything to do with re-infection after healing etc. ??

Jp

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 12:15:10 PM »
          My knowledge about viruses is,.. well lets say 0.
          But have you tried to look in ad or remove programs and see if the program is located there.
          If it is and you do not know anything about installing that program why don't you just remove it.
          If you do not use it it can only use diskspace ,cpu,..

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2007, 01:20:40 PM »
            JP.......... In an earlier post you said.........
            What test did dl65 refer to for the install disc?
               The test I refered to was the WGA test..... ( which you said your machine had passed)   
            Here is what it is ........  it is a update which should have been d/l from MicroSoft as a critical update.
            Launched in July of 2005, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program was designed to deliver additional benefits to fully licensed customers of Windows, help protect honest businesses from counterfeiters, and help Microsoft better protect its intellectual property and combat Windows piracy. WGA is one of many programs Microsoft uses to address the problem of software piracy.

If you still don't know what WGA is , go to this link......
            http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f8b8bc77-cfa1-47bd-b325-7a6d3893add8&displaylang=en   
            Download it and it will scan your machine and inform you if you have a legal
            XP or not.   
            In June of 2006, Microsoft expanded Windows Genuine Advantage to include a service called WGA Notifications. WGA Notifications was created to alert people using a non-genuine copy of Windows that they might be victims of software piracy and to help them resolve the issue.

I don't know what more I can add. Your machine is still badly infected and I would doubt that it can be repaired without a format and a clean install.

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Jp

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2007, 01:52:17 PM »
            dl65,

I agree, would you please help, . .

If you are talking about some type of disc I only have the disc that the computer came with as stated I have owned the computer from purcahse.

That being the case concerning reformat, . . I do have the sp2, and could install that but what do I do with WXP sp1 ?

The only hardware is my multi functional Printer, other programs are relatively unimportant, I will look at them, I can not any longer use the computer.

Therefore I would like very much to get this resolved.

Did you say that since my computer WXP is original I should not have to worry about the disc I will use ?

Jp

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2007, 02:07:57 PM »
              JP.....
              If you are talking about some type of disc I only have the disc that the computer came with as stated I have owned the computer from purcahse.
              I really do not understand what you mean by this.

That being the case concerning reformat, . . I do have the sp2, and could install that but what do I do with WXP sp1 ?

OK...... one of the cd's that came with your machine ......... will have XP/SP1 on it .... You need that disk and you also require the SP2 cd that MicroSoft mailed you.

Go into the bios and set your boot sequence to ........ CD-Rom first boot .....
              exit bios.
              Then put the XP/SP1 cd in the cd drive and reboot the machine.
              You will see that it begins to load ..... Make sure you format it as NTFS.
              Let it do it's thing ...... and once the format is complete, it will begin to load XP ...........
              When XP finishes loading .......... remove the XP/SP1 cd from the cd-rom ......
              and replace it with the XP/SP2 cd and it will install.
              When finished, install your anti-virus program and then go online, and go to MicroSofts update site and click the express button ........ your machine will be scanned and you will be shown a list of critical updates to install. Download these and your done........ It's just that easy.

dl65  ::)
              If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                • Yes
                • Technology News and Information
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #43 on: May 03, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »
              If you are using Outlook Express, I reccomend you uninstall it if you are not going to reformat, just to avoide letting the virus spead

Jp

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 02:41:52 PM »
              I have AOL mail service although I do have Outlook Express I do not use it.

Will other software be involved in the reformat process?

Jp