Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help me please....  (Read 4305 times)

John Schleif

help me please....
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:29:07 AM »
well i have a long problem so please dont stop looking at this because you see the length.  Not to many people can help me with this, but i know someone out there knows what the *censored* there talkin about.

the problem

I have 2 computer.  They are hooked up threw a router, that is connected to a cable modem.  One computer works, the other does not.  On the computer that does not work it says when i check the status of the connection that it is running at full speed, and is sending out packets, but it is NOT recieving any packets.  that is where the first problem is.  So in order to fix this problem i called IT.  They told me a solution of going to "RUN - CMD "  they then proceded to tell me to reconfig my ip adress,  when i went to do that it said i was missing a socket or the IT guy told me what to do in order to fix the bad files. And he gave me instructions.  HE told me to go to "RUN - REGEDIT "  Here is where the other problem comes in.  When i try to do that it only comes up for a second, and then it will close by itself.  I also notice this problem when i push Ctrl Alt Del.  and then go to the task manager that i will come up for half a sec and then close.  So if anyone has read this hole thing has any idea of what to do please help me.  I am running a laptop on windows 2000. please.......... help

Computer_Commando

Re: help me please....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:36:23 AM »
Sounds as if you might have a virus or internet worm, or spyware.  You do have an up-to-date virus program? You do have a spyware cleaner?  Scan for both.

John Schleif

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:52:24 AM »
If that doesn't work?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:11:11 PM »
does the other pc have a nic....which one are you have trouble with..and what o/s is used
try deleting the old connection >save your password and username....and make  a new one...do you have a firewall this can prevent packets sent to you...what does netstat say in the cmd prompt...as for an IT telling you to use regedit...you should not need to do?bad advice..i feel..

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 12:11:22 PM »
    John Schleif.......Go to the pc that has the router software on it and click start ......then run .....now type
    cmd ......at the prompt .....type   ipconfig/all   see whats listed
    Perhaps you do not have the router properly configured ......has the second machine ever worked through the router ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

John Schleif

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 11:27:38 AM »
    This problem has happend before.  So when this happend last time, i called IT and the guy worked with me for a while and finaly figured out the problem.  This was over a year ago and i forget what the solution was.  He had me in the Run program, doin the IPCONFIG and he said that my computer wasn't reading somehting right.  So he had me change around some numbers and i forget what those numbers are.  

John Schleif

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 11:31:30 AM »
    by the way the computer was running fine and then i encountered a problem, which involved me doing things to it to make it better which i did, until i relized these problems.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 11:47:50 AM »
    ...On the computer that does not work it says when i check the status of the connection that it is running at full speed, and is sending out packets, but it is NOT recieving any packets.  that is where the first problem is. ...

Right-click My Computer, then Properties, Hardware, Device Manager, open Network Adapters.  Right-click "Your Adapter", then Properties.  Advanced, Media Type should be "auto sense"

merlin_2

John Schleif

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 10:39:51 AM »
     ;D  thanks to all who responded. You guys were more than helpful.  Great site cant believe that it is free.