Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vanshing PCs on xp/2k workgroup  (Read 3844 times)

magician

Vanshing PCs on xp/2k workgroup
« on: May 05, 2007, 09:50:21 PM »
Hey guys,

Recently i moved my network to a new location and i b uilt a win2k box into a NAS/FTP pesudo thing with a raid1 setup. This would be great if it worked...On a windows workgroup, compromised of 2 winxp pro and 1 windows home and the 2k box, all is working fine besides the 2k box. After i set up the 2k box it showed fine on network places/pcs but any attempts to connect to it failed, via name or IP. Even to shares setup on it.  Now, it's vanished and it can't be seen on any of the XPs, nor can it see any of the XPs, it only sees its self in the workgroup.

I have a VNC cilent on it and i can connect to it that way, it responds to ping and i hosted a counterstrike server on it and the XPs found it in lan browse...so it's working. Also, i just noticed when i view the entire network on the 2k box, it is showing two workgroups, one the actual workgroup and the other workgroup is named workgroup with it as member,  even though it network id properties it shows itself as a member of the right workgroup. Come sunday i think i will  rebuild a new workgroup and see what happens, but untill then any input is much thanked.

magician

Re: Vanshing PCs on xp/2k workgroup
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
Actually i think i will naviage to a domain to save me any more of these headaches, but ideas on how to fix this are still welcomed!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Vanshing PCs on xp/2k workgroup
    « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:47:37 AM »
    Try changing the workgroup on the 2K box to anything, reboot, then change it to the workgroup you want it to be a member of. In the past I've found that sometimes that works, though I don't know why  ???

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!