Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 1.2 GB file in my Windows Temp folder  (Read 3604 times)

Rowena

1.2 GB file in my Windows Temp folder
« on: April 06, 2004, 06:38:59 PM »
I have a laptop with a 5GB hard-drive and 64MB RAM, running Windows ME. It became slower and slower to use, until last year it got ridiculous and I gave up and bought a new computer.

Now however, I'm trying to get my laptop back in working use. One problem is that the "Windows" folder is hogging over 3GB of the entire 5GB hard-drive. I dug around in that folder a bit, and in C/Windows/TEMP I found a file called QTPluginTemp1025565 that is 1.2GB in size! My question is whether or not it is safe to delete this file. I have no idea what it even does. There are lots of other various files called QTPlugin in the same folder, with various numbers in the titles. Some are only small in size, there's only the one 1.2GB file, but there are five or six others that are hundreds of MB in size each.

I am presuming they are something to do with Quicktime but I have idea what. Some help and advice would be much appreciated

Doomsday_J

Re: 1.2 GB file in my Windows Temp folder
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 07:17:35 PM »
I did a search on google, it seems to me that Quick time stores movies in a cache for some reason. This file is that cache. Have you downloaded a bunch of movies or used QT for a movies or something? I would say yeah go ahead a delete it.

sierradad

Re: 1.2 GB file in my Windows Temp folder
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 05:35:01 AM »
One other possibility would be to right-click, then select delete to send it to recycle bin (don't empty recycle bin yet) and wait a few days to see if everything is still working OK. If all is OK, then you could go ahead and empty recycle bin. If not OK, you can restore it from the recycle bin. At least this way you can recover it if you need it.

Or, you could just go to Control Panel > Add/Remove and uninstall Quick Time completely (then get rid of any lingering folders it doesn't delete). Then, if you do want Quick Time, redownload it fresh from the QT web site. At least then you will have it taking minimal space. Of course, that means losing any movies you may have stored (do you have a burner so you could save things to a CD/DVD first?). My other thought is this: Since it is a laptop and not a full-size computer, do you really WANT movies on it? Do you even really need QT? If not, just get rid of it....depending on what you plan to do with the laptop.

Best....Larry
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 05:39:30 AM by sierradad »